Softball's captain, catcher will be missed

The UCSD softball team will only be losing one senior to graduation this year, but her absence will be felt; the team, which finished 13-19 in the California Collegiate Athletic Association and 24-32 overall, will miss Kristin Hunstad’s talent and leadership.

Kristin Hunstad
    Softball

“”Kristin has been our starting catcher for four years and has started all but 10 games or so; she has worked with all kinds of pitchers; she is incredibly knowledgeable, and she calls a great game behind the plate,”” said UCSD head coach Patti Gerckens.

For her part, Hunstad will miss the rest of the Triton team, especially the memories and friendships she has accrued over the four years.

“”One of my best memories will be going to regionals two years,”” Hunstad said. “”Also, the team morale this year and playing with such a great group of girls.””

Hunstad finished the 2003 season with a .243 batting average while scoring 14 runs and knocking in 14 more. She had a .333 on base percentage and ended up with fewer strikeouts (16) than walks (18). Hunstad had a .279 slugging percentage and hit three doubles and a triple over the course of the season. Her 38 total bases were fourth highest on the team and her .980 fielding percentage behind the plate was the second highest on the team, committing only five errors in 52 games.

“”Kristin just had great skills,”” Gerckens said. “”She had a great arm, almost no one stole on her, and hardly anyone even attempted to steal on her; other teams respected her.””

In her final season, Hunstad served the triple role of team captain, her second year in this position; starting catcher; and mentor for freshman Jennifer Leonard, who will most likely be the Tritons’ starting catcher next year.

“”Losing your starting catcher is hard, and we’re really going to miss her leadership,”” Gerckens said. “”She had good balance; she was both a good winner and a good loser.””

Hunstad spoke incredibly highly of her four years of experience while playing on the UCSD softball team.

“”It has been a pleasure working with this coaching staff and learning all four of my years, knowing that the coaches want it as much as you,”” Hunstad said.

Gerckens heaped praise on Hunstand, and it was clear the team liked and respected her as well, but all these feelings can be best summed up in one simple sentence by Gerckens.

“”The team played for her this year,”” she said.

$2515
    $5000