Career Services to switch to NACElink

The UCSD Career Services Center will unveil a new Web-based job listing system on May 6 that will allow employers to post job and internship opportunities for UCSD students and alumni free of charge.

The Career Services Center, which currently uses the for-profit job listing service provider MonsterTRAK, will switch to NACElink, a new nonprofit service provider run by the National Association of Colleges and Employers.

The new system will allow the Career Services Center to deal directly with area employers without going through third-party commercial outlets and will greatly reduce the costs associated with recruiting student and alumni employees and interns for employers.

NACE collaborated with the DirectEmployers Association, a nonprofit organization of corporations, and college career center directors from UCSD, UC Berkeley, UCLA, Yale University, University of Pennsylvania, University of Florida and Florida State University.

According to Career Services Center Director Neil Murray, NACElink was developed to offset the growing concern over the privacy of student data, the constantly escalating cost employers are expected to pay to list job and internship positions, concerns about losing school identity when using a commercial provider and the lack of stability offered by commercial providers.

“”Commercial lenders come and go, leaving all three parties — the employers, the school and the students — in a precarious position,”” Murray said.

Twenty-seven universities across the country launched NACElink in August 2002. The number of career centers using NACElink will soon exceed 50, according to Murray.

While NACElink directly benefits employers, it also helps students, who benefit from a wider array of job and internship opportunities offered, according to Murray.

“”We are already seeing the benefits of free service in that we are attracting employers that we wouldn’t normally get,”” Murray said.

The new system will be San Diego’s largest free outlet for potential college employees. Students will be able to post resumes, access job listings and create job-search agents that will notify the student when a job that fits his or her criteria becomes available.

Employers can currently enter job and internship positions in the system at http://career.ucsd.edu/rec/recruiters.shtml. Students and alumni will be able to access the information on May 6. Employers who wish to recruit students and alumni from several universities may do so through the system for a nominal fee.

NACE was founded in 1956 as an information source for college career service practitioners. It represents over 1,800 college career offices and over 1,900 human relations and staffing group.