hiatus calendar 4.24.03 – 4.30.03

Thursday 04/24/03

Some people think that art museums are boring, stuffy places where snobby people stare at modern indecipherable art, but at the San Diego Museum of Art, you’ll also be able to attend great concerts. Tonight at 7 p.m., Adam and Laila del Monte will bring their passionate and highly acclaimed salsa and flamenco music and dance to the SDMA for the Guitars in the Galleries concert. Tickets are available through Ticketmaster or you can call (619) 232-7931.

Cibo Mato fans now have another group they can see who can also deliver that happy, sappy music that they love so much. That’s right, the lovable Stereo Total have made it all the way to San Diego from Berlin and will give some of their sweet melodies sprinkled with French, German, English and Turkish. The show starts at 8:30 p.m. and tickets are $10. For more information call (619) 232-4355.

Friday 04/25/03

They Might Be Giants: They’re zany and irresistible and they’re coming to 4th and B! This talented duo, John Flansburgh and John Linnel, has been making zany and fun songs since high school and for the past two decades have had a devoted cult following. Who can blame their fans when they’ve produced such brilliant songs like “”Istanbul Not Constantinople”” or “”Triangle Man?”” They will perform with guest Amy Miles. The show starts at 9 p.m. Tickets are $17.91 and can be purchased by calling (619) 231-4343.

Saturday 04/26/03

Nothing beats a little jot of classical music every once in a while. This weekend you can get your full dose of first-class classical music when the internationally renowned Fine Arts Quartet play a concert at the UCSD Mandeville Auditorium. The concert starts at 7:30 p.m. Violinists Ralph Evans and Efim Boico, violist Yuri Gandelsman and cellist Wolfgang Laufer will play a little Beethoven, Shostakavich and Dohnany. Tickets are $25 and can be purchased at the UCSD Box Office.

Their sexy single “”Emerge”” has been getting play all over the world and they’ve got a cult following that rivals that of any other dance music artists. Fischerspooner’s (Warren Fischer and Casey Spooner) substance is second to the surface visual and auditory aesthetics. They play at Spreckels Theatre for $22. The show starts at 8 p.m. For more information call (619) 235-4654.

It’s more than just a concert, it’s a musical and life-altering experience. That’s right, the two-day Woodstock-esque Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival is back for its third year. Who could say no to the scorching temperatures and the great bands? This year the lineup includes big names like the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Queens of the Stone Age, Beastie Boys, N*E*R*D, Ben Harper, The Donnas, Groove Armada, Badly Drawn Boy, Blue Man Group and many others. The downside? Tickets are expensive at $75 a day. The event will be at the Empire Polo field in Indio, Calif., on April 26 and April 27.

Sunday 04/27/03

Short on cash but want to have some good, clean, educational fun? Then direct yourself toward the Museum of Photographic Art in Balboa Park and check out their new film series “”See the Movie, Read the Book.”” You can see James Dean’s final film and the film that won him a posthumous Academy nomination. “”Giant”” also stars Elizabeth Taylor and Rock Hudson. The film screens at 1 p.m. Admission is $5 for the general public, $4.50 for students, seniors and military, and $4 for MoPA members. For more information call (619) 238-7559 and dial “”F”” for film.

If you want to see the work of future filmmakers, then you’ll have to visit one of the largest student film festivals in the country: Best Fest San Diego Student Film Festival held at the San Diego Natural History Museum in Balboa Park. This year 278 entries were submitted by 596 local high school and college students, which were narrowed to 68 entries in eight different categories. Come, starting at 5 p.m. with a reception for the filmmakers at 9:15 p.m. Admission is $5 for students and $10 for adults. For more information and screening times visit http://www.bestfestsandiego.com.

Tuesday 04/29/03

Rock ‘n’ roll photography is a much underrated art form in which very few get recognition, but now San Diego local Eric Rife is showing his striking photos of musicians and the local music scene in an exhibit entitled “”Shutterpunk”” at the Whistle Stop in South Park. Rife took colorful and moving pictures of some of his favorite bands, including the Supersuckers, Zen Guerrilla, The Damned, Motorhead and others. The exhibit runs through May 15 and admission is free. For more information call (619) 284-6784.

Wednesday 04/30/03

They made waves with their brilliant new album Elephant and now Jack and Meg White will be playing at SOMA. The Detroit indie rock group is a two person auditory army and they’ll surely bring their signature punch. With their throaty howls, soft whispers and catchy lyrics, there’s nothing you can’t love about the White Stripes. Tickets are $26.50 and the show starts at 8 p.m. For more information call (619) 226-7662.

$2515
    $5000