hiatus calendar

Thursday 04/17/03

Prepare to visit a world where everything is upside down, and get ready to really enjoy it! Guillermo Reyes’ new play, “”Deporting the Divas,”” now showing at the Sledgehammer with Kristen Brandt directing, portrays a topsy-turvy world (San Diego and Tijuana) in which sex, love, politics and society all come into conflict. The play that runs through May 10 will make you reflect and laugh. Tickets run from $18 to $20. For information call (619) 220-0097.

They might be the next big thing, or they might not be, but either way the Yeah Yeah Yeahs are super rock ‘n’ rollers, and the addictive beating drums and guttural howls will have you on you knees. Los Angeles band Icarus Line, which has gained a reputation for being fanatical and enthusiastic, will also play, along with the San Diego natives Gogogo Airheart. These fantastic bands will be playing at the Scene on $12. Tickets are (858) 505-9111.

For those who are fans of singer/songwriters Jack Johnson and Ben Harper, Mason Jennings cannot be missed. This talented acoustic artist will woo you with his wise, beautiful lyrics that you won’t be able to forget. A man that has propelled himself with his extremely strong efforts, Jennings will be playing at Cane’s Bar and Grill in Pacific Beach at 7:30 p.m. The show is for people ages 18 and up and tickets are $15.

Friday 04/18/03

The talent of three bands all rolled into one – that’s what you get with Holy Molar. With members from Locust, Get Hustle and the Oath, Holy Molar is very untypical when it comes to punk bands with their thrashing, frenzied music and vocals. These guys also have a wicked sense of humor – wicked or just weird – which you can see from listening to their latest album “”The Whole Tooth and Nothing but the Tooth.”” Come and also see XBXRX and Death Bred play with Holy Molar at UCSD’s own Che Cafe. The show starts at 8 p.m. and admission is $5.

The Black Heart Procession will provide the soundtrack for the gloomy weather that has blown into San Diego this past week. The delicate, dark music will have you tapping into those deep emotions that you didn’t even know you had. Bartender’s Bible will open for the Black Heart Procession when they play at the Scene. The show starts at 7:30 p.m. Tickets are $12. Call (858) 505-9111 for more info.

Saturday 04/19/03

Punk is in, and no time is better than now to check out some great punk bands. Convoy, those lovely boys who brought you the hit “”Caught up in You,”” will play at the Casbah along with The Millionaires and Everybody Else. Get there early and soak in the great atmosphere that comes with concerts at the Casbah. The show starts at 8 p.m. Tickets are a measly $12, so get them today!

Let’s get cultured. An evening of world music in the lovely Balboa Park will lighten your week, especially when the brilliant Kalman Balogh plays with the Gypsy Cimbalom Band. These talented Hungarian Gypsy artists will meld jazz and swing for a show that will make anyone happy. The performance will be held at the Balboa Park Recital Hall and starts at 7 p.m. Tickets range from $10 to $15. For more information on this concert call (858) 457-3136.

Sunday 04/20/03

They have only been here a year, but the indie rockers the Displaced have already made quite a name for themselves, even garnering a “”Best New Artist”” nomination at the 2002 San Diego Music Awards. Strongly influenced by those legendary Pixies and Breeders, the boy-girl dynamic also adds a great flavor to their catchy music. They will play at the Whistle Stop in North Park. Admission is $3. For more information on this event, call (619) 284-6784.

Monday 04/21/03

The oh-so-famous and enigmatic Billy Corgan makes a stop at UCSD with his new band Zwan when they play at RIMAC Arena. Corgan’s new musical project has received a lot of press, primarily good, and for good reason. Their music has a great way of bringing out great feelings with their guitar rock. The Children’s Hour will open for Zwan. The show starts at 8 p.m. Buy tickets before they sell out at the UCSD Box Office. Tickets are $23.50 for UCSD students and $25 for general admission.

Tuesday 04/22/03

We don’t normally hear much coming from Omaha, but music and great bands have been a big export recently with the likes of Bright Eyes and now the Faint. Bright Eyes has come and gone, but you can see the Faint with Les Sevy Fav at the Scene. Their dark synth music and ominous lyrics are positively addictive. Les Sevy Fav will also give you a good taste of artsy punk music that you haven’t gotten since the talking heads. The show starts at 7:30 p.m. Tickets are $15. For more information call (858) 505-9111.

Wednesday 04/24/03

You must have heard their new hit single “”Girl’s Not Grey”” from their great new album Sing the Sorrow and now you can see AFI live when they perform at Soma. Sometimes extremely dark and strong and at other times catchy and bright, the San Francisco punk band is starting to lose their harder edge to become more radio and pop friendly … and that may just be the factor that leads them on to major success. The show starts at 7:30 p.m. Tickets are $15. For more information call (619) 226-7662.

$2515
    $5000