Softball loses four straight at home

UCSD suffered a rough homestand with a doubleheader against Point Loma Nazarene on April 10 and a doubleheader versus CSU San Bernardino on April 12.

Tyler Huff
    Guardian file

The first of UCSD’s four games resulted in an extra innings pitcher’s duel that ended with a 2-1 UCSD loss. Freshman Stephanie Kurz threw all eight innings for the Tritons, but when the Crusaders scored two runs in the top of the eighth, UCSD was only able to answer with one, thus giving Kurz the loss, her fifth of the season.

The Tritons scattered five hits across eight innings, but their lone run came in the bottom of the eighth when sophomore Breanne Cope was able to score freshman Danielle Ross from third with a fielder’s choice to second.

“”We simply failed to execute,”” said UCSD head coach Patti Gerckens. “”We failed to bunt four times. Defensively, we had a great game, all we needed was one run.””

UCSD’s second game against Point Loma saw the Crusaders winning by a score of 5-0. Triton freshman Jenny Spencer started the game, but was only able to pitch one complete inning of work, and was pulled in the second inning, giving up three runs and putting her record at 0-2. Sophomore Keri Hanley provided six innings of two run relief.

At the plate, the only three Tritons that were able to get hits were juniors Kim Aggabao and Amy Mettee, and senior Kristin Hunstad.

“”Once they become more confident and emotional, hopefully it will take over their other emotions,”” Gerckens said.

The Tritons started off their first game on Saturday with a 5-3 defeat from San Bernardino. Kurz pitched the complete game, but once again received the loss, bringing her record to 8-6 on the season. Fielding was a big problem for UCSD, which committed five errors in the game.

Offense was a slightly brighter side for the Tritons though, who managed to produce seven hits while scoring three runs, one in the fifth and two in the seventh. Two of the team’s three RBIs came from Cope, while the third came from freshman Desiree Franciscus. Mettee, Hunstad and Franciscus scored the three runs for UCSD.

The second game in the doubleheader against the Coyotes ended in a 7-6 defeat for the Tritons. Starting junior Jodie Bland pitched five innings, receiving a no-decision, while sophomore Keri Hanley took the loss for her two innings of relief, putting her record at 5-10.

The Triton’s offense started off slow, only scoring one run through the first five innings. However, they stepped it up and scored four in the sixth, and one in the seventh off a Cope solo home run, but they were still one run short of the Coyotes.

“”Right now we’re fighting ourselves and beating ourselves up,”” Gerckens said.

UCSD’s record is now 18-23. Because only the games against San Bernardino were California Collegiate Athletic Association games, the Tritons CCAA record is 9-13. The Tritons’ next games will be against UC Davis and Chico State on April 18 and April 19, respectively, both of which are away games.

$2515
    $5000