Tritons beat Seawolves by 35

The UCSD women’s basketball team (10-17 overall, 10-12 in the CCAA) split its weekend games, losing to San Francisco State and then finishing the season on a high note with a 35-point stomping of Sonoma State by 83-48.

Anna MacMurdo

On March 7, UCSD shot 29 percent from the field and 40 percent from the charity stripe en route to a 49-46 loss at home to California Collegiate Athletic Association rival San Francisco State.

“”We just didn’t shoot,”” said UCSD head coach Judy Malone. “”They played good defense and we couldn’t put the ball in when we needed to.””

UCSD, down 10 points at halftime, whittled the lead to one after Ali Ginn made a three-pointer with 47 seconds left in the game. But that’s as close as UCSD would get. The Gators made two late free throws to close the game with a three-point lead.

Ginn paced the Tritons with 13 points, six rebounds and five assists. Forward/center Margaret Johnson got her fourth double-double of the season with 10 points and 12 rebounds.

Nicholle Bromley had eight points and nine rebounds, while Katie McGann added six points and 12 rebounds off the bench.

On March 8, the Tritons hosted Sonoma State on Senior Night at RIMAC Arena. Bromley, UCSD’s lone senior this season, had 14 points, three rebounds and four assists in her final game.

Bromley has played in over 100 games without missing one in her four years on the team.

“”When we were recruiting her, we did it with Division II in mind,”” Malone said. “”[Nicholle] is one of the few players that starts as a freshman. She’s been a captain since she was a sophomore and has been the emotional leader of the team.””

Eleven players scored for the Tritons, who were led by Ginn’s 18 points. Ginn also pulled down 10 rebounds and had five assists on the night.

In contrast to the previous night, the Tritons caught fire, making 18-for-18 from the free-throw line and shooting 48 percent from the field.

“”Everything we did wrong on Friday, we did right on Saturday,”” Malone said.

When the Tritons took off their shooting shirts, they all revealed Bromley’s number 22 painted on their left shoulders.

“”I didn’t know until they did the senior [ceremony], and they all rolled up their sleeves,”” Bromley said. “”I love my team.””

The RIMAC crowd gave the senior a standing ovation.

“”It was [Stacy’s] idea,”” said junior co-captain Erynne Faucett about the “”22’s”” on their shoulders. “”We really care about her, and we wanted her to remember everything [this way].””

When the Tritons started the season 0-9, a 35-point victory seemed a long way off.

“”We talked a little bit before the game,”” Bromley said. “”It really hit home that this was the last time together for us as a team, and when it’s all said and done, people are going to remember our last games.””

UCSD finished each of the past two seasons on losing streaks.

“”We played the way we should be playing at the end of the season,”” said sophomore forward Karina Siam, who returned this weekend after missing games due to a concussion. “”We did it for Nicholle.””

$2515
    $5000