UCSD goes 1-1 at home

The ninth-ranked UCSD women’s water polo team played two home games against Claremont College and SDSU on March 1. The Tritons easily beat Claremont, but could not handle the seventh-ranked Aztecs.

Rebecca Drexler
    Guardian file photo

In a big game with cross-town rival SDSU, the Tritons came out slowly and fell 8-4. The Aztecs led 3-0 after the first quarter, and eventually stretched the lead to four in the second quarter. UCSD cut the lead to 4-2 before the half, but would get no closer after that. The Aztecs led 6-2 at halftime.

Junior Miranda Paulson led the Tritons against SDSU with two goals, and seniors Danielle Bourret and Samara Silverman each added one goal apiece for UCSD. Aztec junior Holly Hartzell led all scorers in the game with four goals.

UCSD head coach Larry Sanders was disappointed with the slow start by his team.

“”It’s just frustrating. San Diego State is a good team with a lot of offensive weapons, and we spotted them a few goals,”” Sanders said.

Bourret agreed.

“”We played with them the last part of the game. We just gave up too many in the first few minutes,”” she said.

Earlier in the day, the Tritons blew past Claremont 13-2. The game was never close, since UCSD jumped out to a 4-0 lead in the first quarter en route to a 7-1 halftime lead. The game did not get any closer from there. Paulson lead the team with four goals. Co-captain Dana Tucker added three goals, Elizabeth Keesey and Danielle Boyle each had two, and Kari Lyman and Jan Hashimawari each chipped in with one.

“”Claremont is not on the same level as San Diego State’s team,”” Sanders said.

UCSD is now 10-3. Several players are having a strong season as the team tries to push toward a postseason berth and a league championship. In addition to Paulson’s scoring, Tucker and Boyle are helping the Tritons offensively and goalie Kaitlin Foe is playing well.

“”Really, the whole team is playing well. We’re almost halfway through the season now. We just have to get a little better,”” Sanders said.

Next up for the Tritons is UC Irvine at home on March 6. Irvine is ranked No. 18. Still, Sanders is confident about his team’s chances.

“”Irvine is a team we should do well against. We should beat them, we just have to get off to a better start,”” Sanders said.

$2515
    $5000