UC unions rally, protest low wages

Members of the Coalition of University Employees, as well as supporters and members of five other campus unions, rallied yesterday at all UC schools in an attempt to increase awareness about their ongoing concerns over their low wages.

Anna MacMurdo

Over 100 people demonstrated throughout UCSD’s campus for about 40 minutes; the demonstration culminated in a chant about respect and contracts led by four dancers and a drummer in front of Chancellor Robert C. Dynes’ office at about 12:45 p.m. Those in attendance carried signs with such slogans as, “”UC works because we do,”” and “”UC workers demand respect.””

“”I think the rally went really well today,”” said C.U.E. statewide Treasurer Chris Hertzog. “”We had six different unions here all united in the message that we deserve more respect and we want our contracts.””

Like many of the unions rallying yesterday, C.U.E. has been negotiating a new contract for over two years, attempting to gain higher wages, raises and areas for advancement.

Anna MacMurdo

However, C.U.E. has not found the University of California cooperative with its issues thus far.

“”We’ve found the administration at UCSD to be both unresponsive and irresponsible in solving this problem [of wage increases],”” said San Diego C.U.E. President Sally Hampton. “”We are trying to ‘do the right thing’ for our employees and invite the university administration at UCSD to join us in this venture.””

The University of California feels that it has negotiated and delivered to the best of its financial abilities, citing that it has offered new benefits and retirement plans as compensation.

“”UC continues to do what it can within constrained resources to acknowledge employees’ ongoing dedication and service, and to help them adjust to these financially challenging times,”” said the University of California and the Office of Labor Relations in a public statement concerning these union issues.

“”Over 150,000 people make UC their employer of choice, and UC offers its employees some of the best terms of employment in all of higher education, including a benefits package that is virtually unmatched by its competitors.””

C.U.E. said that although these benefits are useful, they do not help with the financial burdens that low-paying jobs have put C.U.E. members through. According to the California Budget Project, a Sacramento think tank, the average salary of a UC employee is about $32,000 — over $13,000 less than what a three-person family reportedly needs to survive.

“”Clerical workers don’t keep our money in offshore accounts. We spend it on groceries, housing, daycare and utility bills,”” said Claudia Horning, statewide C.U.E. president. “”By underpaying its workers, UC is undervaluing the communities which provide essential services to campuses and medical centers.””

But the University of California maintains they are doing all within their power to help the members of these unions.

“”Wages remain the key issue in several current negotiations,”” said the University of California in its statement. “”UC continues to offer the best wages possible within limited state salary funding due to the state budget crisis.””

But even while recognizing problems with state funding, C.U.E. still believes that it is entitled to a pay increase because it is currently being paid 13 percent below the market rate for clerical jobs, Hertzog said.

“”The dean of our UCSD Medical School makes $280,000 per year and just got a one-time bonus of $38,000,”” Hampton said. “”That is more than most of us make in a year! I’ll bet he has clericals working for him that barely make it over the poverty line.

The situation here speaks for itself.””

The University of California released another statement saying it believes the mark was between 8 and 10 percent for the 2001-02 school year, but is very close to market value when the benefit packages of the clerical workers are considered.

In addition, the University of California recognizes that 3 percent of this money will be paid out in deferred payments and therefore is not immediately accessible.

However, this is problematic to members of these unions because over 50 percent of the clerical workers hired quit after the first year due to the salary and working conditions, according to C.U.E. Treasurer Chris Hertzog.

Hertzog also said that C.U.E. feels entitled to a salary increase because of the currently unallocated $4 billion the University of California has in excess revenues.

“”It’s not like UC doesn’t have the money to pay us,”” he said. “”They are not passing on the money to shareholders. They could easily afford it. They are just crying poor house.””

The University of California, however, says that this information is misleading and that any excess money has already been given out.

“”The Governmental Accounting Standards Board requires institutions like UC to report as ‘unrestricted’ assets whose use is not predetermined by an outside entity,”” said the statement released by the University of California.

“”However, ‘unrestricted’ does not mean the funds are uncommitted or available for any use. All funds — restricted and unrestricted — are 100 percent committed each year to UC’s vast array of academic programs, salary and benefits programs for employees, construction projects and countless other obligations. There are no ‘surplus’ funds sitting in ‘rainy day’ reserves available for salary increases.””