Lizt Alfonzo Dance Cuba blends modern and folkloric

Lizt Alfonso Dance Cuba will be bringing a unique blend of modern and folkloric dance from Spain and Cuba to UCSD for one exciting performance of high-spirited entertainment on March 5.

Under the direction of Lizt Alonso, this talented group of 22 female dancers and eight musicians has created a versatile range of works that have played a large role in the cultural environment of Cuba. Their works are lively and full of energy, encompassing the traditional Cuban style of dance while exploring new ways of expanding the traditions to include more modern developments in dance.

Alfonso founded the company in 1991 under the name Danzas Ibericas as part of the Cuban Dance Promotion Center; however, she changed the name to Lizt Alfonso Dance Cuba the next year when it was declared an independent company. Since then, Alfonso has led the company as director and principle choreographer in her unique style of dance created from a lively blend of Spanish and Cuban traditions.

Lizt Alfonso Dance Cuba has performed throughout Cuba, Spain and the United States. The company has been embraced by audiences and critics alike for the original style, overwhelming energy and diversity of style, music and costumes the show has to offer.

UCSD University Events Office will present Lizt Alfonso Dance Cuba at the Mandeville Auditorium at 7:30 p.m. Tickets are $25 for the general public, $22 for UCSD Faculty and Staff and senior citizens, and $15 for students. For tickets, call the UCSD Box Office at (858) 534-TIXS. Don’t miss this wonderful opportunity to see one of Cuba’s greatest companies performing its spirited works live on stage.