hiatus calendar

Thursday 2/13/03

“”Ahchoo? Where?”” He’s at Spreckels Theatre! That’s right, Dave Chapelle, from Mel Brook’s “”Robin Hood: Men in Tights,”” “”Half Baked”” and “”Chapelle’s Show”” on Comedy Central will be in San Diego to give us some of his signature comedic lovin’. He will be on stage at 8 p.m. and at 10:30 p.m., and he’ll make you laugh so hard your stomach will hurt. Tickets range from $27.50 to $35.50.

He idolizes Buck Owen and Hank Williams, has toured with Los Lobos and is charged with bringing country back to its roots. Chart-topping Dwight Yoakam, the alternative-rock-cutie-turned actor, has become popular at colleges all over the nation. Yoakam will perform his new sweet melodies at 4th and B at 8 p.m. Maybe he’ll bring some of those new biscuits he’s marketing! Tickets are $35 to $40. For more information call (619) 231-4343.

Friday 2/14/03

What better way to celebrate Valentine’s Day than to see an idealized fairytale romance come to life? Canada’s Winnipeg Ballet will perform “”Sleeping Beauty”” at the California Center for the Arts in Escondido for only two days! The 32-dancer troupe will perform to Tchaikovsky’s legendary score with choreography by Marius Petipa in a performance uniquely classical, as well as modern. Tickets range from $23 to $68 and performances are at 8 p.m. on Feb. 14 and Feb. 15. For information call (800) 988-4253.

Lovers of music and dancing rejoice! The San Diego Ballet’s latest show, “”Dances of Love and Laughter,”” combines motley color, a klezmer band and mambo for an evening of unforgettable costumes and spellbinding choreography. The performance runs through Feb. 16 with evening shows at 8 p.m. on Feb. 14 and Feb. 15 and a 2:30 p.m. matinee on Sunday. Tickets are $27 with discounts for children and students. For more information call (619) 544-1000.

Saturday 2/15/03

Check out the “”Two for the Road: Sketchbook Patricia Patterson and Manny Farber”” exhibit at the Athenaeum Music & Arts Library in La Jolla for its last day. Farber is a respected film critic and accomplished painter, while Patterson is famous for her environmental works (paintings, drawings and objects). Both are married, but this is their first exhibit together. Admission is free. For info call (858) 454-5872.

Smokey and Miho are at the Casbah. Smokey Hormel, who has played with the likes of Beck and Tom Waits, will combine with Miho Hatori of Cibo Matto to play Brazilian bossa nova of the ’60s, which combines sexy jazz and poppy lyrics. They have released two EPs together, including “”Tempo de Amor: Songs by Baden Powell.”” They met while Cibo Matto was opening for Beck. The show starts at 8:30 p.m. and tickets are $12. Call (619) 232-4355.

Looking for something to do with your sweet heart? Don’t mind that its a day after Valentines day? Then come check out the dace at the at UCSD’s international center from 9:30 p.m. to midnight. With a verity of DJ’s and ethnic dance groups, this promiss to be a great time.Tickets are $5 for students, $8 for faculty and staff, and $10 for general admission.

Sunday 2/16/03

Dancing is in his blood; 18-year-old Farruquito (grandson of Farruco the dance legend) and Juana Amaya will dance the traditional, sexy and fiery flamenco at the Mandeville Auditorium at 7:30 p.m. Tickets can be purchased at the UCSD Box Office.

Tired of being an uncultured git? Well, here’s your chance to improve yourself. Vincenzo Bellini’s classic opera, “”Norma”” plays at the San Diego Civic Theatre. Starring Russian soprano Galina Gorchakova as the Druid priestess, the opera will leave you speechless. Richard Bonynge from the New York Metropolitan Opera will conduct the performance. The show runs through Feb. 26. Tickets are $20 to $140. For information call (619) 570-1100.

Monday 2/17/03

Livley up your self, and come to the 22 Annual Bob Marley Day Festival 2003. With a long list of regge, hip-hop greats and legends; including Damian Marley, Stephen Marley and Julian Marley, and head lined by Shaggy, this event promises to be great fun all for a good cause. Marley Day isa benifit for the World Beat Center in Balboa Park, and is a celibration of 91X’s Reggae Makosa, which has been on air for 20 years.

Tuesday 2/18/03

For girls who just wanna have fun, you have to see the eccentric, the bold, the legendary, Cyndi Lauper at Viejas Casino. Lauper will be appearing in a DreamCatcher event, where there will be standing-room only, so get there early. The show starts at 8 p.m. Tickets are $35 and are general admission.

Wednesday 2/19/03

Move over Norah Jones, the Chicago-based jazz artist Patricia Barber will play her original music and win hearts at The Casbah. With refined and humorous tunes and lyrics, Barber has established herself as an internationally recognized artist. The singer/songwriter/producer has proven that she is a strong and independent artist who controls her output and produces what she wants to. Come see a true indie jazz artist when she plays at 7 p.m. and 10 p.m. Tickets are $20.