Club Sports

WOMEN’S LACROSSE

The UCSD women’s lacrosse team traveled north to face off against the No. 1-ranked, currently reigning National Champions, Cal Poly San Luis Obispo. UCSD looked to earn a victory after a string of heart-breaking defeats, with strong play from the entire team. One of the newest members to the UCSD team, Vicki Dyakovetsky, scored her first goal of the season.

Although UCSD put up an exhausting fight, the Mustangs put forth a championship effort and came out the victors.

Despite the lackluster start, the team still has high hopes for the remainder of the season. They are now focusing on the upcoming Santa Barbara Shootout, hosted by UC Santa Barbara.

WOMEN’S RUGBY

UCSD’s women’s rugby left town on Feb. 7, set to face its two division rivals in Arizona. In competitive matches against ASU and the University of Arizona, UCSD took both games to improve to 3-0 in league play.

On Feb. 8, the Tritons matched up with ASU, despite missing several key players due to injuries. This was of little importance, however, because the Tritons notched the first score and maintained a strong lead throughout the game. Jessica Venturi led the Triton offense with a pair of tries and a phenomenal game of passing and crashing. Defensive regulator Jolene Sawyer devastated ASU’s offense along the right sideline, while Kat Hartl led the forward pack with strong rucking and support. The Tritons took the game 41-15.

The following day against the Wildcats, the Tritons went back to work. Allowing only one score, the Tritons dominated the offensive game, even with several players out of position. With a final score of 34-5, there was never any doubt that UCSD was in full control.

Now 3-0, the Tritons will meet up with both Arizona teams on Feb. 15 in a doubleheader at UCSD’s Robb Field at 10 a.m. and 12 p.m. These crucial games will determine which team competes at the nationals in April.

UCSD PRESIDENT’S DAY ULTIMATE DISC TOURNAMENT

UCSD has always been a strong contender in collegiate ultimate disc events, with championship teams past and present. So it makes sense to host one of the largest ultimate tournaments in our own backyard. Hence the creation of the annual President’s Day Tournament, attended by the best ultimate teams from around the nation.

The tournament is scheduled for all three days of President’s Day weekend, taking place on all of the major fields around campus (RIMAC, Muir and Warren fields). Both men’s and women’s teams are competing.

The men’s team is taking aim at Colorado University, unfazed by its perennial championships. The game against Colorado will be the showcase game on Feb. 15, beginning at 8 p.m. at RIMAC. A win against CU would be a first for UCSD.

Meanwhile, the women’s team will be challenged by another solid competitor: Stanford. UCSD defeated Stanford in the championships last year, but the Stanford team has already struck back with a win earlier this season.

Other teams playing in the President’s Day Tournament include UCLA, UC Berkeley, University of Pennsylvania, Dartmouth, Yale, Texas A&M and Harvard, among others.

UPCOMING EVENTS

Feb. 15

UCSD Sailing North 1&2 Competition at CMA/Vallejo (ends Feb. 16)

Cycling “”Valley of the Sun”” Competition hosted by UC Davis (ends Feb. 16)

UCSD Women’s Lacrosse at

“”Santa Barbara Shootout”” Tournament (ends Feb. 16)

Feb. 15

UCSD President’s Day Ultimate Disc Tournament (ends Feb. 17)

Feb. 16

Equestrian English Competition at Cal Poly Pomona

Feb. 17

Men’s Lacrosse at UC Santa Barbara

— Compiled by Anu Kumar

Sports Editor