Marshall heralds sexual awareness

Sex was on everyone’s mind during Thurgood Marshall College’s observance of Sexual Awareness Week from Feb. 3 to Feb. 6.

Thurgood Marshall College Student Affairs worked with campus organizations students to coordinate the week’s educational events, which ranged from the live Thurgood Marshall Television show “”Phone Sex”” to a free Price Center Theater showing of the film “”40 Days and 40 Nights.””

Sexual Awareness Week was meant to focus on the positive aspects of sexuality.

“”We wanted to get the word out about attitudes, skills and knowledge for positive sexual health,”” said Paul Stravinsky, programming assistant to the Dean of Student Affairs at Marshall College. “”Most people find it more difficult to talk about the positive aspects of sex than the negative aspects.””

If you want people to talk about sexual satisfaction, number of partners, quality of experience, it gets into people’s [ethics].””

For example, people are more comfortable looking at pictures of diseased genitalia than healthy genitalia, Stravinsky said.

“”Not that we’re showing pictures,”” he said.

Stravinsky emphasized how the experience has shown the “”power of words”” when talking about sex.

When the committee handed out rose-shaped condoms on Library Walk, one of the student volunteers handed a condom to a man and said that he could give it to his girl.

“”[The student committee member] was making assumptions,”” Stravinsky said. “”The person may have had a guy in mind, but when he heard that, he may have thought, ‘Oh, I better keep my mouth shut.’ It’s passive assumptions that keep people oppressed.””

Programs during the week included a “”Jeopardy””-like game, a lecture by sex therapist Dr. Marty Klein and icebreakers at the Cross-Cultural Center, where participants talked about “”what people think about public sex, kinky sex, transgender [issues],”” said Stravinsky.

$2515
    $5000