Reality TV: Drama and glamour sell

Reality TV is one of the most popular forms of entertainment today. From “”The Real World”” to “”American Idol,”” millions tune in to watch real people share their lives on TV. But how realistic are these reality shows? Do they even truly represent the way people are?

One of the biggest critiques of reality TV is that after the first season, the shows lose their appeal. The best explanation for this is simply that after the initial run of a show, people know what the producers want and, in turn, change the way they act so they can get their 15 minutes of fame. For example, on “”Survivor,”” the first cast was known as being more real, and was on the show strictly to compete and win. Later casts have proven to have more of a flair for the dramatic. This is true of just about all reality shows.

Additionally, reality shows have proven to be more sensational than real life actually is. Take, for example, “”The Real World.”” The show, which started out as a critique of real life, has instead turned into a more fake environment. The jobs the casts have are far more glamorous than the average 18- to 24-year-old has. Put all these factors together, and you have something completely unreal. Think about it: How many 19-year-olds do you know hold glamorous jobs at Arista Records while living in a trendy New York loft decorated by Ikea and other name brands? It’s a completely unreal situation that simply doesn’t occur in real life.

So what is it that makes these shows so popular? Theoretically, it seems like the popularity of these shows is due to the same factor that makes people slow down to look at car accidents: the morbid fascination of it all. Often times, the pitch of a show seems to attract viewers. Take, for example, “”Joe Millionaire.”” Who isn’t looking forward to seeing the look on the faces of the girls who find out that the guy isn’t really a millionaire? It’s the ultimate in trash television.

Sometimes it’s the cast members that bring viewers around. “”The Osbournes”” displays one of America’s most eccentric families, and one would ordinarily think that this kind of reality programming wouldn’t work. However, one of the most appealing things about the show (other than the humor) is that the family is just like anyone else’s. There are the obvious differences (not everyone’s father is a rock legend), but everyone can relate to the sibling rivalry, the annoying parents and, lets face it, everyone’s family has their oddball moments. “”American Idol”” features Simon, the hard-ass British producer, and it seems that he is a perennial favorite.

“”He’s just so sarcastic! It’s great to tune in and see what he’s going to say next,”” said Earl Warren College junior Kellie Aguilera.

As for other shows, it seems that the longevity of them keeps viewers coming back for more. “”The Real World”” is currently on its 11th season, while the upcoming season of “”Survivor”” will be the sixth for the series. Loyalty keeps viewers coming back, along with the fascination to see what’ll happen this time around.

Reality television is the biggest trend of the 21st century, and so far, it shows no signs of slowing down. Although many of us think our lives are too boring to be taped, clearly many others feel differently. And if you want to find out more about what it’s like to be on a reality television show, Steven and Frank from “”The Real World: Las Vegas”” will be at the STA Travel Office in the Price Center on Jan. 30 from 11a.m. until 1p.m., signing autographs and discussing their Contiki trip to Australia.