Crawford's jumper leads UCSD men's basketball

Guard Sean Crawford showcased his individual ability when he scored a game-high 20 points on Jan. 10 and Jan. 11. Not only did he lead the basketball team in scoring, he also proved that he could hit the three when it was most needed.

Tyler Huff

On Jan. 10, against CSU Dominguez Hills, Crawford made a basket from behind the arc to tie the game, and then on the next possession scored another three to establish a Triton lead that would remain for the rest of the game.

Crawford, a native of Sebastopol, Calif., did not become UCSD’s top scorer and three-point shooter overnight.

“”I began playing pee-wee ball around the third grade,”” he said.

Courtesy of UCSD Athletics

However, Crawford was not immediately drawn to basketball. In fact, as a multi-sport athlete, he also excelled in baseball. Eventually, he began to concentrate on basketball.

“”It is extremely active and strenuous on my body, and unlike baseball, I didn’t have to sit around,”” he said.

He began his college basketball career at Mira Costa Junior College and transferred to UCSD, where he red-shirted last year. Crawford enjoys the UCSD basketball program because it favors his game.

“”It fits my style,”” he said. “”I am a shooter and the coach gives me free reign of my shooting.””

Crawford’s desire and ability to shoot is obvious in this season’s statistics. He has a total of 168 points, is 30-83 from behind the three-point line and averages 15.3 points per game.

Triton head coach Greg Lanthier said, “”He has made himself a tremendous three-point shooter and last weekend he showed what he was capable of.””

Early on in his career, Crawford realized that he would have to master his shooting because his height was his greatest barrier as a ball player.

“”I am not a high riser, and being shorter made me have to adapt to shoot over players 4 to 5 inches taller than me,”” Crawford said.

Crawford can be found after hours in the gym shooting shot after shot. Even Lanthier recognizes the guard’s commitment.

“”Sean has a relentless work ethic,”” Lanthier said. “”He puts a lot of time in after practice, on his own, shooting the basketball.””

Though Crawford’s individual statistics prove that his extra work has paid off, he said, “”I am playing for the win column. I am not in it for individual benefit. I have won my whole life and I believe winning is the way to bring the fan base back to UCSD.””

Crawford’s ultimate goal, however, is to improve the Triton athletic program.

“”This school has lots of sports, but not enough fans,”” he said.

Crawford’s look to the future makes him the visionary of the team and the team leader. When asked about taking on a leadership role, Crawford said, “”I kind of assumed leadership since I got here. I just try to be vocal and lead by example by working harder.””

Crawford is an integral part of the Triton men’s basketball team.

“”We need Sean for his ability to shoot and his leadership skills, as well as his all-around game,”” Lanthier said.

This weekend, Crawford will attempt to surpass his individual success with the hopes of extending the Triton winning streak to four games when UCSD hosts CSU San Bernardino and Cal Poly Pamona at RIMAC Arena on Jan. 17 and Jan. 18, respectively.

$2515
    $5000