Rajasthan is a hidden gem for the intrepid traveler

This winter break, I am leaving behind crowded malls, elves, Santa Claus and the general holiday frenzy to take a plane to India. Granted, it does not have the festive holiday spirit found only in the western world at this time of year, but if you know where to look, you will find some gorgeous sights and entertainment.

Courtesy of Neha Singh

Rajasthan, one of the most beautiful states in India, literally means “”land of the kings.”” Consequently, one will find dozens of towns with breathtaking palaces and forts. Some towns worthy of mention are Jodhpur, Jaisalmer, Udaipur and Pushkar. There are no international airports in the state, so most tourists fly into New Delhi and take a train to Rajasthan’s capital, Jaipur. The train schedule within Rajasthan is very irregular, so it is recommended that one hire a car and a chauffeur to sightsee.

Jodhpur stands sentinel to the Thar Desert and is a gateway to the wonderland of sand dunes and shrubs, rocky terrain and thorny trees. It is the second-largest city in Rajasthan after Jaipur. The exquisite palaces, forts and temples are a huge attraction to people from all over the world. A sight not to miss is the enormous Mehrangarh fort, which overlooks the entire city and is characterized by its exquisite architecture. Although the town is very small with its narrow streets, it is alive with throngs of people.

A few hours’ drive from Jodhpur is Jaisalmer, also known as the Desert Paradise. The perfect time to visit this golden city is during the Desert Festival, held in January and February. This time every year, the city reverberates to the sounds of melodious tunes and rhythms. Folk dances, exciting competitions and contests like the turban-tying contest and camel races enlighten the festivities. An often-missed sight is the Jaisalmer fort, which is over 800 years old and protected by 99 turrets. If time allows, one should also visit the numerous havelis — unbelievably striking mansions built by wealthy merchants in the past few centuries.

A stark contrast to Jaisalmer is Udaipur, the City of Lakes. It is nestled in the valley among lush hills of the Aravallis, on the banks of the shimmering lake Pichola. It is one of the most romantic cities of Rajasthan with marble palaces, beautiful gardens and placid blue lakes. This city boasts City Palace, the largest palace in Rajasthan and one of the largest in the world. A spectacular palace within the City Palace is Sheesh Mahal, with inlaid mirrors everywhere. A notable hotel in Udaipur is the Lake Palace Hotel, which is one of the best in the world. It is an old palace in the middle of a lake that has been converted to a hotel, with luxurious rooms and an excellent restaurant.

Only a few hours away from Jaipur lies Pushkar, a peaceful town in the mountains built around a lake. It is a religious town, with lots of stunning Hindu temples and shrines. The city is famed for its beautiful sunset on Lake Pushkar, and all the buildings are painted white so that the brilliant reds and pinks can be reflected off their walls.

A well-known place in Pushkar is the Sunset Cafe, a spot where people can relax, have dinner and watch the sunset over the lake. Overall, Pushkar is a hidden gem — anyone going to Rajasthan should include it in their travel plans.

A good source for finding out more information is the Rajasthan Tourism Development Center. This state-run organization has hotels all over Rajasthan, and they often organize tours on camels, elephants, trains or buses. They offer very reasonable travel packages, including food and accommodations. RTDC is tailored to help foreigners and to make their stay in Rajasthan as enjoyable as possible.

On the whole, a trip to Rajasthan is one of the most memorable things anyone can do in their lifetime. The sights are magnificent, the people are charming and traveling is cheap — it fits just about every college student’s criteria for a good trip. It will be nice to follow up finals week with a trip that is both relaxing and fun.