A.S. Council At A Glance

Special Presentation

Mark Stickel, chair of the A.S. Task Force on University Expansion, reported that the task force expects to complete its student survey by June 2003. Stickel noted that $70,000 has been invested in the survey, which polls students on their use of Price Center and Student Center facilities. Stickel also suggested that if the survey’s findings warrant a referendum, it be on a separate ballot than future A.S. fee referendums.

Recognition

The A.S. Council recognized the following council members:

Ex-Officio Member of the Quarter

Meredith Knell

Outstanding Senator

Amy Uyeshima, Revelle senior senator

Outstanding Cabinet member

Robin Shelton, commissioner of athletics

Councilmember of the Quarter

Jenn Brown, A.S. president

Reports

A.S. President Jenn Brown

Brown reported that Vice Chancellor of Student Affairs Joseph Watson has agreed to release $100,000 of state funds to the Student Initiated Outreach and Recruitment Committee.

Brown also stated that UCSD will host the National No on Classification of Race, Ethnicity and National Origin forum on May 3 and May 4, and that at least 200-300 students from across the country are expected to attend.

Vice President Finance Dave Beza

Beza announced that the Student Organizations Funding Advisory Board recommendations for Winter 2002 are completed. The A.S. Council allocated a total of $53,670 to over 100 student organizations.

Old Business

Item U

Tabled

Appointment of Representative to Transportation Policy Committee

Item U was tabled due to a miscommunication between applicant Tom Chapman and Vice President Internal Kevin Hsu, which resulted in Chapman missing his interview for the appointment. During the public input segment of the meeting, Chapman had voiced his concern that he would lose the appointment because he missed his scheduled interview time. The A.S. Council unanimously agreed to postpone the appointment until all prospective appointees were interviewed.

Item BB

Passed by consensus

Resolution endorsing a living wage in San Diego

The A.S. Council unanimously passed a resolution endorsing living wages for San Diego workers, stating, “”the ASUCSD believes that our tax dollars should not create or subsidize poverty jobs, and that quality economic development means quality job development.””

Item CC

Passed by consensus

Resolution in support of the University Council-American Federation of Teachers and the Coalition of Union Employees

In a show of support for the UC-AFT and C.U.E., the A.S. Council called upon the UC administration to consider proposals brought forth by the UC-AFT, stating that “”improved working relationship and work establishment for these individuals will positively impact faculty and student life.””

Item LL

Passed by consensus

The A.S. Council was allocated $24,100 from the general unallocated fund to hire a temporary employee.

— Compiled by Clayton Worfolk,

Senior Staff Writer

Dec. 4

Special Presentation

Recognition

Ex-Officio Member of the Quarter

Meredith Knell

Outstanding Senator

Amy Uyeshima, Revelle senior senator

Outstanding Cabinet member

Councilmember of the Quarter

Jenn Brown, A.S. president

Reports

A.S. President Jenn Brown

Vice President Finance Dave Beza

Old Business

Item U

Tabled

Item BB

Passed by consensus

Item CC

Passed by consensus

Item LL

Passed by consensus

— Compiled by Clayton Worfolk,

Senior Staff Writer