UC asks state to declare C.U.E. talks at impasse

Citing “”remaining significant differences,”” the University of California requested that the state Public Employment Relations Board declare that an impasse has been reached in the negotiations between the university and the Coalition of University Employees union, and that the board appoint a third-party mediator.

The University of California released a statement Nov. 18 declaring an impasse, but the forms were not filed until later in the week, according to UC spokesman Paul Schwartz. On Nov. 14, the university asked C.U.E. to join in declaring a mutual impasse, stating the university “”had no further movement to make”” following a Nov. 13 proposal by the union.

PERB, a state agency headed by five board members appointed by the governor, has five business days from the filing date to decide if negotiations are at an impasse. If it is determined that the parties are at an impasse, PERB will make a formal declaration and State Mediation and Conciliation Service will appoint a mediator.

If progress fails to be made, then the groups will enter a fact-finding phase led by a neutral arbiter and will prepare a non-binding advisory report to help the parties reach a settlement.

Sally Hampton, local 5 president of C.U.E. and a book restorer at Geisel Library, said the union does not agree that the negotiations are at an impasse and also said that declaring a formal impasse would be unfavorable for the union.

“”They can implement anything they want to,”” she said. “”We do not agree to an impasse.””

Gayle Cieszkiewicz, executive director of UC labor relations, said that the negotiations needed to come to an end.

“”We’re offering the best wages possible, given the state budget crisis and its impact on UC salaries, but the union continues to demand wage increases that far exceed available funding and would amount to preferential salary treatment for clerical employees,”” Cieszkiewicz said.

C.U.E. wants the university to offer clerical workers a 15 percent salary increase, 10 times higher than the 1.5 percent the university has offered all its employees. The university says that the poor state economy and lean budget are to blame for low increase.