Provocative new exhibit defies norms

The Sushi Performance & Visual Art facility has been presenting the “”Syzyrgy”” art exhibition as a part of its 2002-03 Visual Arts season. The exhibition will be shown until Dec. 14.

“”Syzyrgy”” showcases the work of three innovative artists — Matthew Forderer, Julia Wren and Michael Svalbery — who create their pieces using unlikely sources and materials. The word “”syzyrgy”” itself is a combination of the words “”syzygy”” and “”scissors,”” emphasizing the idea of cutting things up and reassembling them in unique ways.

“”The main interest in displaying these three artists together was the way they dealt with materials in a cut-and-paste fashion,”” said Carlson Hatton, who is responsible for putting the exhibit together.

The abstract and sometimes bizarre work in “”Syzyrgy”” will make you view art in an entirely new light. Forderer is presenting his “”meat series,”” a collection of collages that combine images of meat packing and vaudeville performances. His images, such as one where cowboys stand off against racks of hanging beef, create an awareness of the sense of absurdity in the world.

The work of Wren, a young artist who recently returned to San Diego from shows in Los Angeles and the Bay Area, consists of mixed media pieces that merge the internal and the external senses. Wren’s current series on display consists of old photographs sewn onto paper, creating rich images of history and memory.

Svalberg’s sculptures explore how common objects like fuel tanks and fur collars can be transformed when combined. Through his combinations, Svalberg gives new life and meaning to objects that seem to have artistic value.

During the selection process for the visual arts season, Sushi looks for new, innovative and experimental work from emerging and mid-career artists in Southern California. It seeks a diversity of cultural and personal backgrounds in its presentation of provocative modern art.

“”Sushi is a very active space,”” Hatton said. “”There have been a lot of positive responses so far [to the show].””

Sushi presents art exhibitions, contemporary art performances, interdisciplinary works and new dance from artists and performers in San Diego and from the national arena as well. It is considered a refreshing urban art experience, with work that defies the mainstream.

Sushi is located in a new facility at the Reincarnation Project at 320 11th Ave. Gallery hours for “”Syzyrgy”” are Wednesday through Friday from 12 p.m. to 5 p.m. For more information call (619) 235-8466 or visit http://www.sushiart.org/intro.htm.

$2515
    $5000