Marshallpalooza! staged to honor former justice

Students from all over campus gathered at Marshall Field for games, food and a free concert Nov. 15 for the first annual Marshallpalooza! This event kicked off Thurgood Marshall Week, which honors the college’s namesake.

“”I think it’s cool that they’re trying to get the campus together for this,”” said Thurgood Marshall College freshman Allison Dana.

Booths were set up for the event so students could get free CDs, posters and food samples from various vendors. Meanwhile, attendees raced each other through an inflated obstacle course or attempted to ride a mechanical bull.

“”It’s been a good variety so far,”” said Quiva Dihuri, a John Muir College freshman. “”All the activities have been really fun.””

One part of this event was a talent show sponsored by Thurgood Marshall Television where students were able to showcase their abilities. Performances ranged from a student band and an a cappella group to a martial arts routine. Meanwhile, spectators laid out blankets and lawn chairs to watch and cheer for their peers.

“”I like how they have really diverse musical acts,”” said Eleanor Roosevelt College freshman Melissa Meza. “”The talent show was really good too, and you can’t go wrong with the free stuff that they’ve been giving out.””

Punk band No Thanx to Paul took first place in the competition winning a performance time slot during the free concert.

“”We’re really glad that we got to play here,”” said lead guitarist and Marshall college student Eric Morris. “”We’re really psyched that we get to play during the concert.””

The show included a variety of bands including Locale AM; Rochelle, Rochelle; Buck-O-Nine; and hip-hop group L.A. Symphony. Between sets, TMTV hosted “”I Bet You Will”” games, where students partook in wacky dares. Throughout the concert, students gathered around the stage, listening and dancing as each of the bands performed their set.

“”The bands have been really good,”” said John Muir College senior Tim Fox. “”I haven’t been to a lot of activities on campus, but I think this is one of the most fun that I’ve been to.””

Marshallpalooza! began as an idea developed by the Thurgood Marshall Student Council last year. A separate committee was then created to research and plan the event in coordination with the TMC dean’s office, the Marshall student council and other campus organizations. Subcommittees acquired donations for prizes, a lineup for the concert and other necessities for the event.

“”We wanted everyone to come, have a wonderful time and to have fun,”” said Marshallpalooza! Committee Chair Kendra Murphy. “”We also wanted it to be something that establishes a social atmosphere earlier in the year.””

Marshallpalooza! is the first in a series of activities available for students during Thurgood Marshall Week. Some of the events include a casual forum with the dean, the unveiling of the new Thurgood Marshall commemorative stamp, and a lecture by Randall Kennedy, an author, Harvard Law School professor and former law clerk to Justice Marshall.

“”The purpose of the week is to celebrate the essence of our college, have students showcase their talents and to encourage community and school pride,”” said Dean of Student Affairs Ashanti Houston-Hands.

Plans for next year’s Marshallpalooza! include an expansion of the variety of vendors and games available.