Police arrest flasher suspect

Police arrested a man on Oct. 21 whom they believe perpetrated the series of flashing incidents that have targeted women in the UTC and UCSD area since August.

San Diego police detective Dan Dennis identified the suspect in police custody as 23-year-old Anthony Evan Heupel.

UCSD police detective Doug O’Dell said the suspect is not affiliated with UCSD.

Heupel was arrested for multiple counts at his North Park home at 4:45 p.m. Monday afternoon, according to Dennis.

“”The suspect was arrested on three counts of false imprisonment, which are felonies,”” Dennis said. “”Also on eight counts of indecent exposure and one count of sexual assault.””

Dennis said that the three counts of false imprisonment are the result of three separate incidents.

“”Two of the false imprisonment counts are the result of the suspect imprisoning two girls in the elevators at the Costa Verde apartment community and another apartment community,”” Dennis said. “”The other count stems from the UCSD campus Oct. 13 incident, when the perpetrator blocked the girls in the cul-de-sac [Lot 402] with his vehicle and then pursued them.””

Dennis declined to provide any further information on the sexual assault count at this stage of the case except to say that it occurred in another part of town.

Dennis said the arrest was the result of intensive collaborative investigation.

“”We looked at old cases and consulted an analyst to see if there was a match with our composite sketch and the series of incidents,”” Dennis said.

The investigation yielded a May case that fit the suspect’s description and in which a similar vehicle was used, according to Dennis.

“”In this May case, three-fourths of the license plate had been identified,”” Dennis said. “”So then we ran the composite sketch and license plate at the Department of Motor Vehicles and [the suspect’s] name came up.””

A photo lineup was then presented to the victims, Dennis said, in which the majority were able to identify Heupel.

“”Eight out of nine of the victims were able to positively identify the suspect,”” Dennis said.

Heupel was then put under surveillance by the special investigations team, Dennis said, as there were several possible residences where he could show up.

On Oct. 21, Heupel was cited at his North Park residence and, according to Dennis, the suspect was taken into custody along with his two vehicles.

Dennis said that Heupel is allegedly believed to be responsible for at least 12 to 13 indecent exposure cases. He also said that two female UCSD students came forward last week to report a flashing incident that occurred off-campus in August. Dennis also said Heupel allegedly is believed to be responsible for this incident, but the investigation is currently pending.

Heupel is currently being held at the San Diego County Jail on $125,000 bail.

$2515
    $5000