hiatus calendar

Thursday 10/24/02

A little bit of history and music will be sure to make everyone’s day. The Lamb’s Players Theatre in Coronado presents “”1776,”” a patriotic musical that will put all other patriotic musicals to shame. With its largest cast ever, the musical portrays figures like John Hamilton, Thomas Jefferson and Ben Franklin while they and others struggle to form a nation. Based on the book by Peter Stone, and with music by Sherman Edwards, the production will be sure to entertain and educate. The play runs until Nov. 10, and ticket prices range from $20 to $40. For show times and more information call (619) 437-0600.

Music and politics combine in ’60s-style garage rock and ’70s punk when International Noise Conspiracy perform their brand of anticapitalistic music at The Scene tonight. The Swedish band has come under much attack because of their outspoken political views and their commercial efforts. If you want to judge for yourself, shell out the $10.75 and see them tonight when their show starts at 6:30 p.m.

Abandon all common notions of landscape and design and visit the University Art Gallery at Mandeville Center for the revolutionary Representing Landscape exhibition. The show will feature six international artists who work in paint and sculpting to widen the idea of landscape. The opening reception is tonight from 5 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.. There will be a walk-through with the artists between 5 p.m. and 6 p.m. For more information, call the gallery at (858) 534-2107 or visit the Web site at http://www.universityartgallery.edu.

Friday 10/25/02

There’s nothing better than wallowing in sad emo or jumping about to frantic punk music on a Friday night. One of the original punk bands from Orange County, Agent Orange, has become a highly respected punk band with a strong fan base, since they have been around for almost 20 years. And for a measly $10, you can join their loyal fans who will be cheering them on when they perform at Brick by Brick tonight at 8 p.m.

Saturday 10/26/02

Get in the spirit of Halloween and learn something about culture as well at the Dias de los Muertos celebration at the Bazaar del Mundo. With Mexico only a short car ride away, and a large Latino/Chicano population in San Diego, it is only right that an event like this bring fun and education families and anyone who is interested. The event will feature arts and crafts, including sugar skull sculpting, and there will be many art and cultural displays. A special tribute will also be paid to Mexican artist Frida Kahlo. The event runs until Nov. 2. For more information call (619) 296-3266.

The exciting band Drive By Truckers will play at 4th and B with Gov’t Mule tonight, having garnered accolades since the release of their album Southern Rock Opera on Lost Highway Records in 2001. With music that addresses stereotypes and myths associated with the South in their unique Southern rock music, Drive By Truckers have been able to produce praiseworthy music while still tackling controversial subjects. Tickets are $20 and the show starts at 9 p.m.

Sunday 10/27/02

Black clothes, massive amounts of makeup and lots of swearing. No, it’s not the “”The Rocky Horror Picture Show.”” British band The Damned is coming to San Diego. The gothic punk band of the late ’70s never quite made it to stable fame, but they did score a few hits, such as “”New Rose”” and “”Smash it Up.”” Although they weren’t able to stay together for long, they are now making another attempt to bring themselves back together to tour and promote their latest undertaking: Eternal Damnation Live. They will play at ‘Canes Bar and Grill at 8 p.m. Tickets are $18.

Tired of meaningless, overplayed rubbish marketed as pop music? Well, Mason Jennings will change all that. Jennings, a stouthearted, hardcore independent artist, refuses to succumb to commercial pressures, despite being praised by The New York Times or even being handpicked by Jack Johnson to open for his tour. Instead, he opts to write all of his own music (over 300 original songs) and tours relentlessly with his own band. And he’s doing something right, because he has sold over 300,000 copies of his honest and heartfelt acoustic albums, recorded out of his vans and at his concerts. Not bad. To see this boy wonder, head on over to the Casbah, where the show starts at 8:30 p.m.. Tickets are $10.

Tuesday 10/29/02

An almost unknown band, The Residents is a rather strange yet important group that has been around since the late ’60s. Known not only for their music, the fiercely unique and artsy band has produced in numerous forms of media, including LPs, CDs, books, video catalogues and more. They even have a permanent exhibition of their video work at the Museum of Modern Art in New York, and their costumes for The Mole Show are on display at the Museum of Contemporary Art in Los Angeles. To see what all the fuss is about, go to the Belly Up Tavern and watch The Residents play at 9 p.m. Tickets are $30.

Wednesday 10/30/02

Scottish men, Scottish music. All is good with the world when Scotland’s premier cavalry marching band, The Royal Scots Dragoon Guard, performs at the East County Performing Arts Center in El Cajon. The 13-piece band will play classic songs as well as modern songs accompanied by Jane Burgess on violin. Tickets are on sale and prices range from $21 to $26. For more information, call the performing arts center at (619) 440-2277.