Open House shows off UCSD to community

Prospective students, San Diegans and many other visitors were present at the annual UCSD Open House on Oct. 19, seeking information about the university and looking to experience the campus.

Hana Hsu

“”I really like the area here,”” said high school senior Erin Toffelmier. “”It also seems like a well-rounded school that will give me a lot of options.””

Presentations were given throughout the day for those who would like to attend UCSD as a freshman or a transfer student. According to prospective student Kristin Leither, the day was helpful in “”answering her questions”” about academic and campus life. Those looking for information on career opportunities at UCSD visited with human resources representatives and also attended workshops.

Over 200 booths were set up on Library Walk with information from academic departments, student service offices and the Health and Sciences Medical center. Lectures by faculty members about various topics ranging from hormone replacement therapy to the role of UCSD in helping to improve homeland security were also available throughout campus for students, parents and people from the surrounding community. The School of Medicine and UCSD Healthcare showcased various services available for the public and distributed information on safety and prevention. Each of the six colleges also had information booths.

Hana Hsu

Guests were able to listen to different performers on two stages located at the Price Center and Sun God Lawn. Singers, dancers and musicians entertained those dining at the Price Center and strolling by the booths. In addition, 30 student organizations sold food and other items for visitors. Tours throughout campus and to several locations, such as the Geisel Library and research labs, were also given from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m.

“”I think that the day has been good because my cousin is a senior in high school and she has a chance to see the school, and I enjoy the music and things that are going on around here,”” said junior Seung Ryu.

Yolanda Leyva, co-chairperson for the event, said Open House was “”an opportunity to invite continuing students, non-students, parents and people of the community and showcase what UCSD is all about.””

Individual colleges also held Family Day events, where parents and relatives of students attended breakfast and were encouraged to explore their students’ surroundings and college life.

“”Families can see where classes are held and what students do outside of campus,”” said Paul Stravinsky, Marshall college program assistant for the dean of Student Affairs.

Parents enjoyed seeing how their new students were settling into college life.

“”We’re trying to experience campus as [our daughter] does and see how she’s adjusted to her new environment,”” said Susan Clark, mother of a freshman student.

Activities were also available for the families around the community. Located in the walk near Sun God, booths exhibited by the Scripps Institution of Oceanography presented fun facts and other information for kids and adults alike.

“”There are really nice and fun booths,”” said La Jolla resident Patti Gray. “”This event is a very generous gesture to the community.””

In Kids-Ville, located at Sun God Lawn, children were provided a place to play games, experience a haunted house and create arts and crafts. Long tables filled with art supplies were available in making mad hatter hats and to decorate pumpkin faces.

Meanwhile, returning alumni were also welcomed with athletic activities and other events. Tournaments and games were held at sport facilities throughout campus, while an alumni barbecue at RIMAC Field offered a chance for socializing.

“”People looked like they enjoyed Open House,”” said freshman Kimberly Cisneros. “”The food was great and people were really friendly.””

$2515
    $5000