UCSD hosts and runs in Triton Classic

The men’s and women’s UCSD cross country teams hosted the 2002 Triton Classic at UCSD’s North Campus course on Oct. 12. Both Triton squads won the team competitions in their respective divisions.

Anna MacMurdo

Hosting a large field of 24 teams on the men’s side and 29 on the women’s, UCSD head coach Ted Van Arsdale expressed why the Tritons enjoy the event.

“”We really do it for the local community. It is just our way to give back to the sport,”” Van Arsdale said.

Aside from promoting the university, Van Arsdale’s runners seem ed to excel on their home course.

Running in a field of teams from Division I and Division II, UCSD’s men’s team finished in third place overall. Senior David Dunbar led the Tritons, finishing the 8K course in 10th place with a time of 25:40.4. Teammate Neil Kalra was close behind, completing the course in a time of 25:51.5 to place 14th.

Other runners that scored points for UCSD were junior John Morrison, who finished in 32nd place, senior Stephen Martin in 34th place and junior David Callister, who took 46th place.

Running unattached, Thomas Loos was the top finisher of the men and finished the North Campus course in 24:44.

The women’s side finished fifth overall out of the 29 teams. Individually, senior Audrey Sung ended in sixth place with a time of 22:19.8. Continuing to lead the Tritons, Sung fought her way up to the front of the race after running in the middle of the pack for the first half of the event.

“”She’s been our No. 1,”” Van Arsdale said. “”She set the tempo for the rest of team.””

The other scorers for the Triton women virtually came across the finish line together. Sophomore Lindsay Stalker took 44th place with a time of 23:42.9, followed by freshman Erin O’Donnell in 46th place in 23:44.6. Freshman Meghn Bellotti ended in 51st place and junior Lillian Gardiner finished in 56th place to round out the five scorers for UCSD.

Van Arsdale was pleased to see his team run closely together.

“”That has been part of our focus during our training,”” Van Arsdale said. “”That has been the difference … that tight grouping.””

The Tritons will play host again next week at the Alumni 5K on Oct. 19, which will be in conjunction with the UCSD Homecoming 2002 festivities. Then the men’s and women’s teams will participate at the California Collegiate Athletic Association Championships at Cal State Bakersfield field on Oct. 26.

$2515
    $5000