Tech jobs line Library Walk

Science and non-science majors alike filed past Library Walk for the Science and Technology Job Fair on Oct. 9. Representatives from over 95 companies in the technical and nontechnical fields were present to recruit for job openings and internships.

Kimberly Hughes

“”The job fair provided an opportunity for students to make connections that could lead to future relations in a company,”” said Employer Relations Coordinator Andy Rabitoy.

Sponsored by the Career Services Center, this annual fair offered a chance for students to explore and ask questions about job prospects in their respective fields. In addition, recruiters held on the spot interviews and accepted student resumes.

Junior Kimberly Truong said, “”It’s helped me to see the kind of companies out there.””

However, students who are still largely undecided about a career did not feel the event was too helpful in making the decision any clearer.

“”The fair was too specific and wasn’t geared towards a broader group of students,”” said freshman Ken Sully. “”I was looking for a job during school, but most of the companies required post-doctoral or bachelor degrees.””

This fair comes at a time when technology based stocks are plummeting. In the last decade, the internet and telecommunications industry experienced rapid growth.

More recently, according to Secretary of Commerce Donald L. Evans in a letter to Secretary of State Colin Powell, “”mounting debt loads and constricted capital markets have slowed the industry’s progress.””

“”This fair gives me a chance to personalize my resume,”” said a first year grad student who wished not to be identified. “”But I’m worried about the market being down. I wished that I had put more focus in school.””

However, some companies are still forging on. According to Filipe Fortes of Microsoft, the company is still “”hiring strong”” and competition remains high for technical jobs. The company is also looking for people in the software field.

“”Simply, there’s always going to be positions if you’re qualified,”” said senior Alan Chou, a math and science major.

“”It’s helpful to build relationships with the representatives out here,”” said sophomore electrical engineering major Ali Dori. Even with the dip in the technology market economy, Dori remains optimistic and said that, “”It can’t get any worse than it is right now.””

Meanwhile, biotech companies are looking to expand their growing market. It is expected that biotechnology will be an ever expanding sector in the high technology market in the next 20 to 50 years. Several of the biotechnology companies were present for students who are gearing to enter this field.

Informational materials were available for the students to browse. Also, employees of these companies were at hand to answer questions.

According to Shelley Burrola of BD Biosciences, a company based in San Diego, “”there is a growing dynamic in the industry. It’s continuing to develop and there’s always room for career advancement.”” She also said that, “”UCSD has a reputation of being a great research school, and that’s why we’re here.””

Fifth-year bioengineering major Doris Chun said, “”The fair’s been really helpful and I’ve gotten some really good feedback. I know that a lot of these companies are looking for somebody with a chemistry background.””

Technology and biotech companies were not the only resources for students. In addition, several government agency recruiters were available including representatives from the Internal Revenue Services, the Air Force, the Marines Corps and more.

Government sector representatives were also at hand to answer questions regarding varied positions that require technical, science and engineering backgrounds.

According to Rabitoy, there will be other job fairs held on Jan. 22 and Apr. 9 that will cater to all students.

$2515
    $5000