Letter to the Editor

Editor:

If anything, Ryan Darby’s article about A.S. President Jenn Brown “”misses the point.”” Brown was looking at the broader picture, one that looked at both the immediate and long-term impacts of the 9/11 attack.

His rants in the article have little to do with Brown’s well-crafted speech and more to do with propping up his own conservative ego. His piece served as a reminder why I am a liberal (not a four-letter word in politics). All the groups that Brown mentioned truly are victims, though they may not have been immediately affected by planes crashing into buildings. The conservative government that Darby holds on high has made these people victims.

Ari Fleischer, President George W. Bush’s spokesperson, said at a press conference last fall that people should not criticize the government, and then when the transcript of the press conference was released, this comment was not included. This seems more Orwellian than American. Brown’s speech was quite appropriate because in the current climate, we must remember all victims.

We must take this time and use 9/11 to recall all horrendous acts so that we will not repeat them in the future. To do this, we must question our government; we must make sure that policy-makers are responsible for their decisions, and that they don’t just waste lives, be they American or any other. Those too will be the victims of 9/11.

— James Lynch

Revelle Senior

$2515
    $5000