UCSD community remembers 9/11

UCSD remembered the victims of the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist actions on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon on the anniversary of the attacks with a ceremony held in the Price Center, followed by an interfaith memorial service for Sept. 11 victims.

Anna MacMurdo

The ceremony began with the presentation of colors by Al Hilde and Kenneth Edwards of the Veterans’ Staff Association. Music professor Phil Larson sung “”The Star Spangled Banner.””

Chancellor Robert Dynes said a few words of welcome before introducing A.S. President Jenn Brown and Graduate Students Association President Tom Fleming, who presented the memorial tree and plaque that will stand on the Warren lawn.

In his speech, Dynes reflected on the moments in history during which various generations came of age. He described his parents’ generation coming of age during the Great Depression and World War II, with his generation coming of age during the Civil Rights movement and the Vietnam War.

“”Our students’ generation came of age one year ago, when they saw 19 terrorists take the lives of thousands of innocent people,”” Dynes said.

Attending the ceremony were members of the UCSD police department, students, faculty and staff, and even attracted passers-by from Library Walk.

Dynes complimented the crowd of attendees on the strong turnout to honor the victims of the attacks.

“”Your presence here is proof that we are strongest when we stand together,”” he said. “”Let us focus on the heroes that were planted in New York, Virginia and Pennsylvania.””

Fleming and Brown presented the memorial tree and plaque, and Fleming shared his Sept. 11 experience of losing an undergraduate classmate in the attacks on the World Trade Center in New York City.

In her remembrance speech, Brown spoke of how the attacks made victims of those who were involved in the attacks as well as those who felt its repercussions.

“”The victims are the recent college graduates who just got their first job at the World Trade Center and who will never work again,”” she said. “”The victims are those who are called un-American because they question their government. The victims are the babies of New York, who will never know their father or never know their mother. The victims are the students, faculty, staff and community members of UCSD and San Diego, who are threatened, harassed, beat up and scared because of the color of their skin.””

Al Canata, a UCSD student and the business manager for the California Review, said he felt Brown’s list of victims could have been more inclusive.

“”The victims came up short a little bit,”” he said. “”There was no mention of our soldiers fighting overseas for our freedom.””

Brown called for the community of UCSD to honor the victims of Sept. 11 through their actions rather than their words, and to take away from the events of that day the lessons of the importance of community, culture and compassion.

“”In honor of all victims at the community at UCSD … we must work towards a place where tolerance, understanding and appreciation are not just a principle of our community, but a practice of our community,”” Brown said. “”We must acknowledge differences, celebrate differences, and not hate each other because of differences.””

Brown then read the inscription on the memorial plaque, which reads, “”Dedicated to the victims of 9/11, UCSD remembers September 11, 2001.””

This was followed by a moment of silence in remembrance of the victims, which ended with the ringing of the carillon bell played by Scott Paulson.

The ceremony ended with Sandra Stewart, an external relations staff member, singing “”God Bless America”” and some closing words by Dynes, including an invitation to the multidenominational service that followed.

$2515
    $5000