Theater Review: Sex, drugs and chorus lines: Rent comes to SD

In a few weeks, “”Rent,”” one of the most successful musicals in Broadway history, will once again come to the San Diego Civic Theatre.

Photo Courtesy of Broadway San Diego

The best way to describe “”Rent,”” for those who have never seen it, is with the words sex, drugs and rock ‘n’ roll combined with love, hate, life and death.

Loosely based on Puccini’s “”La Boheme,”” “”Rent”” deals with issues like homelessness, drug addiction and AIDS. Set in New York, “”Rent”” tells the story of a group of friends trying to figure out how to best live their lives.

There is no single plot or main character in this musical. The story builds in bits and pieces while the characters move in and out of each others lives.

“”Rent”” has been a success for several years and has won such prestigious awards as the Tony and the Pulitzer Prize, as well as receving acclaim from both critics and audiences alike.

Despite such success, the history of “”Rent”” has had its share of tragedy. The musical’s creator, Jonathan Larson, died the night before the first performance from a aortic aneurysm.

“”Rent”” will be in San Diego from Aug. 7 through Aug. 12, with a total of eight performances. Ticket prices range from $24 to $67. With “”Rent”” being such a popular show, there is a good chance tickets will sell out, so it’s best to purchase tickets in advance. Tickets can be purchased by at the San Diego Civic Box Office, through BroadwaySD.com or by calling (619) 570-1100.

Don’t miss this great chance to see the show that, while becoming the 15th-longest running show ever on Broadway, is also becoming an American classic.