Undergrads offer dynamic new take on theater May 30

Pretentious playwrights and domineering directors will be conspicuously absent from UCSD’s theater this weekend, and if Antonia Glenn, Amy Cook and, their troupe of undergraduate actors have their way, bored audiences will be AWOL as well. Opening tonight, “”O Solo Walt Jones,”” Glenn and Cook’s brainchild, promises to offer UCSD audiences an entirely new theatergoing experience. The show, a set of short solo-performance pieces by UCSD undergraduates, is the first such show in which every piece was written and mostly directed by its performer.

“”These are unusually self-derived works … [The show] is the only thing of its kind at UCSD — no one else is doing this,”” Cook said.

Cook and Glenn organized the event and helped the actors in the writing and performing process, but did not take on a directing role.

Actors in the show are equally enthralled with the show’s individuality.

“”It’s an amazing privilege to have the opportunity to own the stage for a few minutes and share one’s feelings and viewpoints with the world,”” said actor Nawal Bengolam. “”It’s a privilege few people have.””

From actor Amanda Sitton’s wry weight-loss video parody in which she proclaims that losing weight is one of the best ways to fight terrorism, to Andrew Kircher’s eerie murder-filled tale of a vacation with guys gone-wrong, the show covers comedy, tragedy and any range of emotions between the two.

According to Glenn, each performance piece stretches the creativity of its performer.

“”So much of acting training is insular,”” Glenn said. “”Anytime duties are shared, one’s perspective on theater is expanded.””

Glenn and Cook begin helping the actors “”expand perspectives on theater”” at the beginning of spring quarter, when they led the troupe in brainstorming exercises.

From there, the actors began writing pieces, a process which lasted several weeks. Glenn and Cook then paired the actors in twos and encouraged them to work together closely. Only recently did Glenn and Cook began meeting with the actors individually to fine-tune each performance.

Actors were very positive about the help they received from the lead duo.

“”[Glenn and Cook] provided a whole lot of encouragement and pushed me in directions I wouldn’t have gone otherwise,”” said actor Steve Fate.

The undiscovered directions of Fate and his fellow actors in “”O Solo Walt Jones”” will be on display Thursday through Sunday in Galbraith 157 in Revelle College. All shows are free. An additional late night performance featuring an expanded set of Amanda Sitton and Andrew Kircher’s works will run only on Saturday night.