hiatus calendar

Thursday 5/30/02

Emo/punk band the Get Up Kids just released their third album, “”On a Wire,”” this month and will be playing at Cane’s Bar and Grill. Tickets are $15 and the show starts at 8 p.m.

The brother-sister duo of Jack and Meg White make up White Stripes and will be playing at 4th and B. The two have garnered praise and buzz from every direction. This fiercely indie band will start at 8 p.m. Tickets are $15.

The San Diego Museum of Art in Balboa Park kicks off its summer film festival, titled “”The French Connection.”” Every Thursday night from May through August, a film about France or made by French filmmakers will be shown at dusk in the refreshing summer air. For a cultural (and free) experience, come by at dusk to the East Wall of the SDMA at 8 p.m.

Friday 5/31/02

Garbage will play at the Open Air Theater at San Diego State University to promote their new album, “”beautifulgarbage.”” Tickets are $28.25 and the show starts at 8 p.m. For more information see page 11.

They’re still alive! Australian rock band of 1980s fame INXS will play at Humphrey’s. After lead singer Michael Hutchence’s suicide in 1997, the band reemerged with singer Jon Stevens — from Aussie band Noiseworks — as lead vocalist. Tickets range from $50 to $95 and the show starts at 8 p.m.

Saturday 6/01/02

Country music with a modern twist? Texas native Dale Watson will be proving it is when he plays at the Casbah. Since the tender age of 12, he’s been writing and performing his own songs and has released three albums. With a new album chock full of songs about tractors and love, Watson appears to be a promising artist. He will start at 8:30 p.m. and tickets are $12.

Sunday 6/02/02

Suzuki is sponsoring the 26.2-mile rock and roll marathon that benefits http://www.lsa-team-intraining.org. To conclude the event, Sugar Ray will perform at Coors Amphitheater. Tickets start at $25 at can be purchased at the Health and Fitness Expo between May 31 and June 1.

Looking to expand your tastes? Then head on over to The Casbah to be enlightened at the Rephlex Records’ Braindance Tour. Bogdan Raczynski will perform an eclectic mix of electronica and polish folk music. The event starts at 8:30 p.m. Tickets are $12.

Wednesday 6/05/02

For an educational and perhaps even romantic evening, come to the Reuben H. Fleet Science Center Imax Theater in Balboa Park to do some stargazing. Astronomer Dennis Mammana will teach you how to recognize constellations so you can impress your dates. These popular shows are for all ages and often sell out, so get there early. Tickets are $6.75 for adults, $5.50 for children and $6 for seniors. And don’t be too bummed if the show sells out; they have one the first Wednesday of every month.