Cake to headline Sun God festival

The A.S. programming office has announced the band lineup for the Sun God Festival, with alternative band Cake headlining this year’s concert May 17 at RIMAC field.

Battle of the Bands winner Five Crown will open the concert. They will be followed by punk band No Use for a Name and hip-hop group Nocturnal.

The announcement of the lineup was made during the week of the festival, which was later than usual. A.S. co-festival coordinators Brandon Freeman and Mike Hayes cited several reasons for the delay.

“”It took a long time to get the act … It was well-known that we had a fairly large budget, but it’s been a tough time to get acts,”” Hayes said. “”We were panicking, but we knew it would all work out in the end.””

A larger budget for the festival was also a factor in the delay this year.

“”We tried really, really hard. Now that we had the budget, we can look for rock/alternative headliners,”” Freeman said. “”That’s the reason it took so long.””

Sacramento-based Cake, who recently released the album “”Comfort Eagle,”” are well-known for their quirky alternative rock music. They are best known for their song “”Never There,”” as well as their cover of Gloria Gaynor’s “”I Will Survive.””

“”I think it’s going to be fun,”” said former A.S. commisioner of programming Eisha Christian. “”[Cake] is headlining XFest, so they’re going to be really cool. They have a pretty cool show and a long set. I’m excited!””

Christian was happy to have not only a high-profile headliner, but also one that is known for its high-quality set.

“”Cake is more about the performance than for being popish,”” Christian said.

Hayes is also enthusiastic about the overall selection of this year’s concert.

“”It’s really a case of both quantity and quality,”” Hayes said. “”It’s going to be a very successful event. Sun God sells itself, and there’s an activity for everyone. We’ve got something for everyone, and that’s been one of our major goals.””

In addition, activities will be held throughout the day all over campus. Carnival and food booths will be positioned around Library Walk and Sun God lawn. Daytime performances will occur from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Price Center.

The DJ tent will also return to RIMAC field that evening, based on last year’s successes. The DJ and Vinylphiles Club will provide seven DJs to perform. According to Freeman, the DJ tent will be twice as large compared to last year and will have an upgraded sound and lighting system.

This year’s concert will start earlier and gates will open at 6 p.m. The programming office is strongly recommending that students show up early to avoid long lines. The concert is free for students with UCSD identification. Guest tickets are $15 each; 1,500 guest tickets will be sold for the event.