Grazier fondly remembered by friends

UCSD student Matthew Grazier passed away at his home in Clairemont, Calif. on the morning of May 3. Friends remember him as an “”awesome”” and “”brilliant”” guy who always took time to listen to others and keep an open mind.

The Earl Warren College student was 22 years old.

“”In conversations, he always wanted to know about you,”” said Grazier’s housemate and friend Ben Rome. “”If you only had a few minutes to talk, he wanted to know what was going on in your life.””

According to his friends, Grazier had an affinity for having fun and saving money. Friends recalled that the only beverage he would buy was beer — not sodas or juice — because water was always free. Instead of buying new things, the mechanical engineering student could rig anything and everything to make it as good as new again, according to Rome.

“”He loved to have fun,”” said Nick Silva, Grazier’s friend since freshman year and housemate for the last two years. “”He was always down to chill; and with a big smile.””

Grazier, who came from Clovis, Calif., was a skilled skier who rode mountains since he was 2-and-a-half years old, according to his mother, Cathy Grazier. He used to ski competitively, often at nearby Sierra Summit, where he held a season pass while growing up.

Friends fondly recalled a trip they made during winter break to Aspen, Colo., as part of the UCSD Board club. Grazier reportedly got tired of skiing, so he ditched them to pick up a snowboard. No one could keep up with him, according to his friends.

In addition to being a snowboarder, friends said Grazier was creative, staying up into the early hours of the morning making things in the backyard.

“”He had a massive brain for engineering,”” Rome said.

Silva concurred, saying Grazier was “”brilliant.””

In the past month, Grazier had begun to take a renewed interest in art, which he became interested in during high school. He had recently replaced the computer on his desk with painting materials.

“”He was super humble, mellow and down to earth,”” Silva said.

Friends gathered Saturday night at La Jolla Shores beach for an impromptu bonfire in his remembrance. About 50 people showed up to remember their friend, who wasn’t there to ask how their day was going.

Friends say his smile kept coming up in conversation that night.

The beach bonfire was also significant in that he surfed and bodyboarded, as well as skateboarded.

“”Matt was a risk-taker,”” his mother said, recalling stories of sky diving and dirt-biking with his dad Keith and brothers, Mike and Dave.

Services are planned for May 10 at 11 a.m. at the New Covenant Community Church, located at 1744 East Nees Ave. in Fresno, Calif.

Grazier’s vibrant smile will be missed the most, his friends say, but so will his altruistic nature.

“”He was always ready to lend a helping hand,”” Matt Prasek said.

$2515
    $5000