Weighing in on the Delta Heavy Tour

Digweed

Editor’s note: After press time, the Sasha & Digweed show was moved to Club Montage. See Hiatus Calendar for more details.

Sasha

Last fall the dynamic DJ duo of Sasha & Digweed came to San Diego and spun an incredible set at 4th & B. Only Sasha and his partner in crime, John Digweed — or vice versa depending on whose side you’re on — were on stage with their turntables and crates of records. With limited visuals and loud, banging techno-trance they thrilled the crowd into the early hours of the morning.

The Sasha & Digweed team has returned to San Diego but this time the DJs hold nothing back on their Delta Heavy tour.

“”It’s been ages since I played in the States,”” Sasha states. “”I am very excited about coming back and seeing everyone again.””

A specially designed set will surround the duo while the incredible Phazon Sound System pumps out the beats. There will also be custom-designed visuals and interactive lighting that will respond to the crowd and the music.

This isn’t two DJs spinning a set at some tiny club.

This is two DJs acting like they are rock stars in a country that hasn’t embraced dance music like Europe has. In fact, most DJs don’t go on tour with their own immense sound systems and massive sets with expensive lighting — until the Delta Heavy tour.

Sasha & Digweed have set the bar higher for all the big-name DJs.

Before Today

Sasha & Digweed made a name for themselves with compilations such as, “”Renaissance: The Mix Collection,”” and their ethereal “”Northern Exposure”” series, which featured trancey breakbeats and seamless musical flows. They also hold the distinction of being the first British DJs to have a residency in the United States at New York City super-club Twilo, which was shut down due to accusations that the club was operating without the proper permits.

Sasha has been voted No. 1 DJ of the year by various electronic music publications and has remixed the likes of Madonna, The Chemical Brothers and has produced music for video games. His “”Xpander EP”” has been incredibly popular and mix CDs released by Global Underground have cemented his place in the progressive house world. Behind the decks, Sasha is known for his long seamless mixes, which beautifully blend music together.

John Digweed has also been making a name for himself. His recent popularity has rivaled that of more established acts such as Paul Van Dyk and Paul Oakenfold. Digweed’s single “”Heaven Scent”” was a massive club hit and he recently remixed New Order’s “”Crystal.”” His releases on Global Underground have been popular with his most recent release inspired by his set in Los Angeles. This more business-minded half of the duo also runs a record label, Bedrock, and is featured as the Music Supervisor for two films due for release this spring.

The man behind the plan is American DJ and booking agent Jimmy Van M, who founded the Balance Promote Group. His compilation, “”Trance Nation America,”” released by Ministry of Sound, is one of their best sellers. Jimmy Van M was among the people who helped develop and organize the Delta Heavy concept, and he is the opening DJ.

“”We’re not selling these nights based on hype,”” Van M states. “”It’s more like us going back to our roots. This tour has an organic feel to it.””

Today

Fresh off a weekend at music festival Coachella, the progressive house and trance sounds of Sasha & Digweed will be thumping from the San Diego Sports Arena. The massive set with the tribal theme, the huge sound system and the amazing lighting combined with the extraordinary talents of Sasha & Digweed should result in an incredible performance.

“”Since we did our first tour in ’96, we’ve watched the America scene grow and hopefully we’ve grown with it,”” Digweed stated. “”The Delta Heavy tour gives us an opportunity to play in cities we’ve never played before and bring something special to each and every event.””

There is no doubt that these kings of the dance music world will amaze their followers as they have for years.

The Delta Heavy Tour featuring Sasha & Digweed will be at the San Diego Sports Arena on Friday, May 3, 2002. Look to the hiatus calendar on page 14 for details.

$2515
    $5000