Jack shreds RIMAC Arena

UCSD’s RIMAC Arena was filled with a near-capacity crowd of concertgoers attending Jack Johnson’s April 26 show.

Chris Padfield

Johnson, along with opener Mason Jennings, treated fans at the sold-out concert to more than two-and-a-half hours of soft, melodic music and even-toned lyrics.

“”The concert was so much more than I expected,”” said Earl Warren

College junior Kay Kwok. “”I like the way that RIMAC wasn’t totally packed. It made the entire experience so much more enjoyable.””

Minnesotan Mason Jennings opened with a sound that blended surf rock, country and traditional rock ‘n’ roll.

As the lights went out and Jennings took the stage, droves of fans poured from the seats down to the floor.

“”The best part was when the wave of people got up when Mason Jennings started,”” Kwok said. “”It was like a herd of cattle, or pigs going to a trough.””

Jennings got a favorable reception from the crowd, though there were some criticisms.

“”I like [Jennings’] style, though many of his songs sounded the same,”” said Revelle junior Laurel Johnson.

Jack Johnson took the stage after a brief intermission to a standing ovation.

“”Jack Johnson looked hot in his usual casual attire,”” Kwok said.

The concert was something of a homecoming for Jack Johnson, who performed one of his first concerts in the Price Center in November of 2000.

“”I’m so glad to be back here in San Diego,”” Jack Johnson said after playing two songs.

Jack Johnson covered most of the material from his debut album, “”Brushfire Fairytales.”” He also played some previously unreleased songs and covered songs by G-Love and Special Sauce and Sublime.

The band left the stage after only about 40 minutes of play, but soon returned with Jack Johnson announcing, “”I was just kidding, San Diego. That was way too short.””

He then played a few more songs before inviting Jennings to the stage to play three songs.

The concert marked the second time in the last year that Johnson has played at UCSD. He previously opened for Ben Harper on May 30, 2001, in a show that also included Jurassic 5.

In a surprise move, Harper joined Jack Johnson on stage for the last two songs of the encore.

“”There was a rumor that Ben Harper was going to show up, but I didn’t believe it, so when he did show up, I was totally excited,”” Kwok said.

Overall, fans were pleased with the show.

“”I thought it was an awesome show and was especially pleased with the surprise appearance by Ben Harper,”” Laurel Johnson said. “”Jack’s great.””