UCSD CLUB SPORTS

Ski & Snowboard

The UCSD alpine ski and snowboard team, led by snowboarder Amy Sage, made a strong showing at the U.S. Collegiate Skiing and Snowboarding Championships. UCSD took third overall for women’s snowboarding, finishing behind UC Santa Barbara and University of Idaho.

Sage had a triple gold performance, and won both the snowboard giant slalom and the boardercross to win the women’s combined title and earn the nation’s top collegiate female snowboarder title.

Last weekend the team traveled to Mammoth Lakes, Calif., to compete against more than 10 teams including UCLA, San Diego State University and University of San Diego.

In the giant slalom, Tom Christensen grabbed seventh place, and Travis Ritchie and Collin Casper took 12th and 13th, respectively.

On the other side of the slopes, freshman Sierra Bourne placed first and sophomore teammate Danielle Crockett earned second. UCSD’s Ann Leonard also earned sixth place.

In the female snowboarders category, Amy Sage took the top spot, Biliana Veleva earned second place and Nicole Roebuck placed 13th.

UCSD snowboarder Peter Butcher grabbed ninth place in men’s snowboard division, and Luke Mitchell and Stan Wu placed 12th and 17th, respectively, to round out the top UCSD performers.

Men’s Lacrosse

After almost upsetting No. 1-ranked Colorado State University in a previous match, the UCSD men’s lacrosse team shocked the 12th-ranked Colorado University on March 28 with an upset victory.

Michael Hunter, the Western Collegiate Lacrosse League assist leader, helped lead the Tritons’ precision offensive attack against the Buffaloes.

Strong defense by UCSD disrupted Colorado’s offense while Phil Smit and Ross Stensrud helped put UCSD in the lead.

However, Colorado refused to quit. After an Arjun Maldonado score put UCSD up 4-1, the Buffaloes came roaring back into the game and captured the lead 5-4.

UCSD responded with a Matt LaFiandra goal to retake the lead, and from there the spectacular play of Jake Lowenstein secured the victory for UCSD.

Sailing

The UCSD sailing team used a strong showing in the Sectional Regattas, hosted by UC Santa Barbara, to qualify for the Pacific Coast Championships.

In the South 5 Regatta, moderate temperature and light winds helped Captains R.J. Ward and Kimberly Leung sail to a 12th-place finish in the A Division, and Rob Grant and Galen Richards earned second place in the B Division.

The boats in the South 6 race had no such luck though; 25-to-30 knot winds disrupted all participants and forced the race to be canceled.

However, the teams’ performances from both sectionals was enough to earn them a spot in the Pacific Coast Championships.

Upcoming

Friday, April 5

Men’s lacrosse hosts UC Santa Barbara at 7 p.m. at RIMAC Field.

Men’s lacrosse B team takes on Cal State San Marcos on Warren Field at 1 p.m.

Saturday, April 6

Cycling travels to Stanford University for a two-day competition.

Sailing competes in the St. Francis Intersectional and the North 5 and 6 Designate Regattas in Long Beach, Calif.

Waterski heads to UC Davis for a two-day competition.

Equestrian travels to Reno, Nev., for Zones competition.

Women’s rugby plays Claremont at 11 a.m.

Sunday, April 7

Women’s lacrosse travels to Arizona to take on Arizona State University at 1 p.m.

— Compiled by Isaac Pearlman

Sports Editor

$2515
    $5000