hiatus calendar

Thursday 3/14/02

The music of Chan Marshall (a.k.a. Cat Power) is of the same vein as Fiona Apple and Beth Orton. Her strong indie-rock sound runs the entire gamut of emotions. Check out her 1998 release, “”Moon Pix.”” Cat Power will be at The Casbah at 8:30 p.m. Tickets are $12.

Head to the East County Performing Arts Center and enjoy the Celtic Fiddle Festival. Kevin Burke, Johnny Cunnigham and Christian Lemaitre will be among the fiddlers to make you feel green. The event starts at 7:30 p.m. and tickets start at $16. Call (619) 440-2277 for more information.

Friday 3/15/02

Hard rocker Rob Zombie will be at the Cox Arena. The show starts at 7 p.m. and tickets start at $28.50. Sinisstar will be the opening act. See story at right for more on Rob Zombie.

Hip-hop, funk and jazz are all in one group known as Spaceman Spiff. They will be playing at the cajun restaurant Redfish in downtown San Diego. At 9 p.m. Spaceman Spiff will be playing more straight-ahead jazz and at 10 p.m. they will kick it up a notch. Call Redfish at (619) 234-7226 for more information.

Sunday 3/17/02

Sit back and relax to the voice of the suave Burt Bacharach. Bacharach has recently collaborated with Elvis Costello to compose some timeless tunes. The show will be at the California Center for the Arts in Escondido. The performance starts at 2 p.m. and tickets start at $18.

Enjoy your Sunday afternoon with some jazz at Dizzy’s. Pianist Vince Benedetti will perform traditional jazz. The show starts at 3 p.m. and the cover is $8. Call Dizzy’s for more info at (858) 270-7467.

In the evening, take in the Nat King Cole Birthday Tribute at Dizzy’s. The event features vocalist Gregory Porter and pianist Kamau Kenyatta. The show starts at 7 p.m. and there is a $10 cover. For more information call (858) 270-7467.

Wednesday 3/20/02

MTV2 will be at ‘Canes Bar & Grill. They will feature Apex Theory, the Lost Prophets and Quarashi. Apex Theory embodies the style of Tool and System of a Down. Apex Theory’s first full-length album, “”Topsy-Turvy,”” is set to be released in early April. Their self-titled EP was produced by Don Gilmore, who has worked with the likes of Linkin Park, Lit and Eve 6. The show starts at 8 p.m. and tickets are $10.

Australian band Midnight Oil made it big in the ’80s, and you can still hear their big hit, “”Beds are Burning,”” on ’80s radio stations. They are still going strong and are touring behind their recent release, “”Capricornia.”” Midnight Oil will be at 4th & B. Doors open at 7 p.m. and advance tickets are $22.50, and $25 on the day of the show.