hiatus calendar

Thursday 3/7/02

Singer-songwriter Christopher Carraba is the man behind Dashboard Confessional. This show at ‘Canes Bar & Grill is sold out but you can learn more about Dashboard Confessional in the Guardian.

Kathleen Hanna fronted such pro-feminist punk groups such as Riot Grrl Press. Riot Grrl turned girls to three-chord punk rock. Now Hanna comes back with Le Tigre. This time the message is sent via new-wave sounds and disco beats. Le Tigre will be at The Scene and the show starts at 7 p.m. Tickets are $12. The show is for all ages.

Atmospheric sounds is the Tristeza calling card. Steady drum rhythms, swirling guitars and synth loops round out a sound that met the approval of many critics on their second full-length album, “”Dream Signals in Full Circles.”” Their new remix album, “”Mixed Signals”” was released in early February. Tristeza will perform at The Casbah at 9 p.m. Tickets are $10.

Lose yourself in the world of West African sounds with Damaru, who will also feature the belly dancer Shalimar. The show is at Dizzy’s and the cover is $8. The show starts at 8 p.m. Call (858) 270-7467 for more information.

Keller Williams is a fantastic guitar player, and he took some time off the road to record his album “”Breathe.”” He will be playing at the Belly Up Tavern and tickets are $12. The show starts at 9 p.m.

Friday 3/8/02

B-Side Players are an eclectic group that fuses various styles together much better than most jam-jazz bands out there. Their funky grooves and Latin jazz overtones have made them one of the most popular acts in San Diego. B-Side Players will be at the Belly Up Tavern. Tickets are $10 and the show starts at 9:15 p.m.

In Dizzy’s, harmonica virtuoso Damien Masterson will be accompanied by John Opferkuch (piano), Ben Wanicur (bass) and Tim McMahon (percussion) to play some jazz and bossa nova. The show starts at 8:45 p.m. and the cover is $10. Call Dizzy’s for more information at (858) 270-7467.

Saturday 3/9/02

Bullfrog’s sound is based on the turntable skills of Kid Koala and the vocal harmonies of Mark Robertson and Joana Peters. Bullfrog is beyond making their music technically complex. Instead, Kid Koala’s talents are used to make the music expressive, not just complicated. Bullfrog will take the stage at The Casbah and tickets are $10. The show starts at 8:30 p.m.

The San Francisco-based OM Trio will be at Winston’s Beach Club. They embrace funk with jazz influences. The show starts at 9 p.m. Call (619) 222-6822 for more information.

The John Opferkuch Trio, along with special guest and flutist Lori Bell, will be at Dizzy’s. The cover is $8 and the show starts 8:30 p.m. Call (858) 270-7467 for all the info.

Sunday 3/10/02

Multi-Grammy Award winner Alicia Keys was supposed to perform in San Diego tonight. Instead, she’s performing at the World Music Awards, where she was nominated as the International Artist of the Year. Keys will be back in San Diego later this Spring.

Check out some San Diego State University jazz combos at Dizzy’s from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. The cover is $8. Call (858) 270-7467 for all the information you need.

Tuesday 3/12/02

Wilco’s ever-growing popularity is matched by their ever-evolving sound. Their ability to melt a variety of sounds together yet still maintain a rock edge has resulted in the popularity of albums such as “”Being There”” and their most recent release, “”Summer Teeth.”” They will perform at 4th & B at 8 p.m. Tickets are $20.

Wednesday 3/13/02

John Scofield adds funk licks to his jazz foundation, and the result is an energetic and danceable sound. Scofield has worked with musicians such as Miles Davis and Herbie Hancock. He is supporting his recent release, “”Uberjam.”” He will be at The Casbah and the show starts at 7:30 p.m. Tickets are $17.

Look to the hiatus calendar for events in and around UCSD.

All tickets can be purchased through Ticketmaster by calling (619) 220-8497 or by going to http://www.ticketmaster.com unless otherwise noted.

$2515
    $5000