Crew prepares to kick off 2002 season

Both men’s and women’s UCSD crew experienced success last year, and the two squads expect to improve even more during the upcoming season.

Courtesy of UCSD Crew

Men’s varsity crew competed in Division I and proved that it belonged in competition against sports-scholarship schools. UCSD finished in third place last year, only placing behind only UC Berkeley and University of Washington.

This year, crew is led by senior varsity member Brian Sullivan and junior varsity member Yukio King. Both Tritons are experienced and have been a part of strong teams in the past. The leadership of Sullivan and King will be important to UCSD’s success this season.

Men’s crew head coach Michael Filippone likes how the 2002 Tritons look.

“”We have a large group of promising returning athletes that will make this year’s team strong. We have been working very hard,”” he said. “”Our goal is to win the Western Intercollegiate Rowing Association Championships and the Pac-10 Rowing Championships.””

On the women’s side of the water, the Triton lightweights finished ranked seventh in the country last year, while the heavyweights were ranked 21st.

Head coach Pattie Pinkerton is excited about her young novice team this year and said that UCSD has several “”excellent”” walk-ons. These incoming members are headed up by freshmen Amanda Milligan and Amber Martin, who are just two of several young women that Pinkerton will look to lead the Triton novice squad.

Pinkerton said she has a few goals that she would like her team to meet this year.

“”Technique is really critical in the sport of rowing,”” she said. “”We are going to try to improve our technique, depth and endurance this season.””

Looking ahead at the schedule, the National Collegiate Athletic Association Rowing Championships are already highlighted, which will take place in May. Each region will send one team to the meet, and UCSD, competing in the western region, is up against tough competition. The Tritons are looking at UC Davis and Western Washington as key opponents in their region.

“”We are certainly a team in the top 10,”” said Pinkerton. “”We have high hopes for this season.””