hiatus calendar

Thursday 2/14/02

Celebrate Valentine’s Day with “”The Vagina Monologues”” at the Price Center Theater. Tickets are $7. Call (858) 534-8497 for more information. The show starts at 7 p.m.

Sick of St. Valentine and his day? Then go watch the St. Valentine’s Day Massacre at The Casbah. The Greenhornes, with their guitar and ’60s organ sound, will play alongside Fireballs of Freedom, who provide dirty rock reminiscent of early AC/DC. The 45’s will also be there. The event starts at 8 p.m. and tickets are only $7. Call (619) 232-4355 for more information.

The UCSD theatre and dance depatment’s Two By Shepard continues until Saturday with daily performances at 8 p.m. in the Mandell Weiss Forum Studio. An extra performance on Saturday starts at 2 p.m.

Friday 2/15/02

Ready for some spice? Beau Soleil heat up the Mandeville Auditorium with their bluegrass roots spiced with a cajun flavor. Look to the story on page 9 for more. Tickets are $15 for students and $20 general admission and can be purchased at the UCSD Box Office. Call (858) 534-TIXS for more information.

Jivewire is at The Casbah. This eclectic club night features a mix of rock, techno and hip-hop. Rotator and Transit Aural Assault will also peform. The event is free, so get there early. Call The Casbah at (619) 232-4355 for more information.

The Samples will play tonight and tomorrow night at The Belly Up Tavern. Their appeal is the way they employ their jam-band style with pop sensibilities. They have recently released an album exclusively on the Internet. Both shows start at 9:15 p.m. and tickets are $16.

Saturday 2/16/02

For Brazilian bossa-nova fans, go to Dizzy’s for their tribute to Antonio Carlos Jobim. Birth of Bossa will feature several artists, including Kevin Hennessy, Duncan Moore, Peter Sprague and vocalist Andy Villas-Boas. The show runs from 8 p.m. to 11 p.m. Cover is $10. Call (858) 270-7467 for more information.

Sunday 2/17/02

Chris Klich & his quintet will feature jazz classics at Dizzy’s. The show starts at 8 p.m. Cover is $8. For more information call (858) 270-7467.

Monday 2/18/02

Bay area jazz vocalist Elaine Lucia will be at Dizzy’s. She will be accompanied by pianist Jonathan Alford, Bill Andrews on the bass guitar, and drummer Tim Shay. The performance starts at 7 p.m. and the cover is $10. Call Dizzy’s at (858) 270-7467.

The Bob Marley Day Fest. Any questions? Take the rest of your Monday off and head to the San Diego Sports Arena. The show starts at 1 p.m. Tickets start at $30.

Look to the hiatus calendar for events in and around UCSD.

All tickets can be purchased through Ticketmaster by calling (619) 220-8497 or by going to http://www.ticketmaster.com unless otherwise noted.