UCSD club sports

MEN’S RUGBY

Men’s rugby lost its home opener 17-8 to Arizona State University last Saturday at UCSD.

Flanker Nate Miller put UCSD on the board first, sinking a penalty kick to give UCSD a 3-0 lead.

That would hold for most of the first half, until the Sun Devils capitalized on a UCSD turnover and scored at the 32-minute mark to grab a 5-3 lead.

UCSD jumped out of the gates in the second half when Mike Hurley scored early to give UCSD an 8-5 lead.

However, it wasn’t enough because ASU scored on its second possession of the half to regain the lead at 10-8. They then shut the door on UCSD, scoring off a break on the wing from 50 meters, giving ASU the 17-8 final score.

Women’s Lacrosse

UCSD women’s lacrosse had a tough weekend, going winless with losses to both University of Arizona and LMU.

Seeking to give new coach Derek Wiback his first victory, UCSD jumped out to a 4-0 lead against LMU Saturday night.

However, it wasn’t enough when LMU used good ball movement to eventually overcome UCSD 9-6. Megan Wemmer scored two goals in the game for UCSD.

Sunday’s University of Arizona match was much of the same for UCSD, which looks to pick up its first victory next weekend against UCLA.

Upcoming

Saturday, Feb. 2

The UCSD cycling team hosts a two-day event.

Ice hockey plays CSUN at Pickwick Arena at 10:15 p.m.

Women’s lacrosse plays UCLA away at 10 a.m.

Men’s lacrosse plays St. Mary’s University away at noon.

Women’s rugby takes on University of Arizona at 11 a.m.

Sailing has its South 1 and 2 meets at Mission Bay on Saturday and Sunday.

The Alpine Ski and Snowboard team travels to Mammoth on Saturday and Sunday.

The men’s and women’s ultimate teams pack their bags and head east to Arizona for the Tempe New Year’s Fest Tourney Saturday and Sunday.

Sunday, Feb. 3

Women’s lacrosse plays Claremont College at UCSD at 11 a. m.

Men’s lacrosse plays Berkeley away at 1 p.m.

Women’s rugby takes on Arizona State University at UCSD at 11 a.m.

— Compiled by Isaac Pearlman

Sports Editor

$2515
    $5000