Hiatus calendar

Thursday 1/31/02

Drummer Billy Mintz has played with the likes of Lee Konitz, Eddie Daniels and Charles Lloyd. Mintz will team up with former Zappa trombonist Bruce Fowler. The cover is $10 and the show starts at 8 p.m. at Dizzy’s. Call (858) 270-7467 for all the information.

Singer-songwriter Jonatha Brooke has a lot to sing about. Her solo release, “”10 Cent Wings”” touches upon the sudden death of a close friend, failed relationships and a marriage heading downhill. Her most recent solo album, “”Steady Pull,”” also incorporates a drum machine with her backing band for a more modern sound. Brooke performs at the Belly Up Tavern at 8 p.m. Tickets start at $15.

Friday 2/01/02

Night two of Club Ritmo opens with master DJs, the X-ecutioners. The event is at Porter’s Pub at UCSD. Doors open at 8:30 p.m. and tickets are $8 for students and $10 for general admission. Call the UCSD Box Office for ticket information at (858) 534-TIXS. Look to the preview on page 8 for more.

Buddy Guy is such a great guitar player that guitarist Eric Clapton has called Guy the greatest guitar player in the world. You can catch the greatness at 4th & B when Guy comes to play the blues. The show starts at 8 p.m. and tickets start at $24.

Senegal native Baaba Maal represents world music in the best possible way. Funky sounds with African nuances are sure to result in a party at Mandeville Auditorium. Sultry Ethiopian singer Gigi opens for Maal with more jazzy sounds filtering through funk. The event starts at 7:30 p.m. Call the UCSD Box Office at (858) 534-TIXS for more information.

The Bi-National Mambo Orchestra comes to rock Dizzy’s in downtown San Diego. Trumpeter Bill Caballero leads this 20-piece orchestra. The show starts at 9 p.m. and cover is $10. Call Dizzy’s at (858) 270-7467 for more information and directions.

Sunday 2/03/02

The new Lou Reed? Or maybe some Iggy Pop? No. It’s The Strokes with their 1970s rock sound. If you were lucky enough to get tickets before they sold out, remember to get to 4th & B by 8 p.m. That’s when the show starts. The rest of you? Read the article on this page and wish that you were there.

Monday 2/04/02

Jazz Project Big Band will feature arranger Marty Conley and soloists Bruce Cameron, Dick McGuane, David Castel de Oro and Gaspar Constantini. This group of talented musicians will jazz things up from 7:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. at Dizzy’s. The cover is $5. Call (858) 270-7467 for the information that you need.

Wednesday 2/06/02

Black History Month Tribute at Dizzy’s features the steel drummer PAPA and other acts. The event starts at 7 p.m. and the cover is your donation. Call (858) 270-7467 for more information.

Look to the hiatus calendar for events in and around UCSD.

All tickets can be purchased through Ticketmaster by calling (619) 220-8497 or by going to http://www.ticketmaster.com unless otherwise noted.