Restaurant REVIEW: Heading for coffee on Hill Street in Oceanside

With a quick trip north, you can find your way to the Hill Street Coffee House. Situated in the Weitzel house, built in 1888, this restored Victorian style house and garden holds a jewel of the coffee-goer’s experience.

Tucked away, the Hill Street is a quiet and picturesque place to break from the day or to get it started. The manicured garden is inviting and soothing, matching the simple elegance of the interior.

In addition to being an organic restaurant, using organic produce and coffee, it is are also certifiably green: The cafe recycles all glass, plastic and paper. Also, it composts grounds and food waste and is Styrofoam-free.

Hill Street boasts a lengthy and diverse menu, so you are sure to find something to fit your tastes, no matter what you’re in the mood for.

The breakfast menu offers egg dishes, burritos, frittatas, sandwiches, along with bagels and many other delights.

The rest of the menu includes more sandwiches, salads, pastas and soup. Everything is well-prepared, looking as good as it tastes.

Since this is a coffee house, its selection of drinks offers hot or blended refreshment; it has espresso and coffee concoctions to delight your classic and more modern expectations. Service is fast and friendly, and the atmosphere is casual and welcoming.

Prices are very reasonable, with few items costing more then $6, and the most expensive being a $7.95 order of Blackened Chicken Pesto. Many items have a health-conscious approach: Vegan Burrito ($5.50), Fruit Platter ($3.50), Dr. Naked (raw vegetables, $3.95). Though not everything is Granola ($3.50); you can get the Clogger (three scrambled eggs served on a croissant with either grilled ham or turkey and melted cheese, $4.75), or even a Sloppy Joe ($5.75).

Well worth the trip, the Hill Street makes for a great escape with some wonderful food and coffee. A rare example of the American coffee house that places more emphasis on quality and enjoyment rather than on marketability.

The soothing ambiance will undoubtedly entice you back again and again, and the charm and warmth will have you feeling at home in no time.

The Hill Street Coffee House

Organic restaurant and espresso bar

524 South Coast Hwy.

Oceanside, Calif.

(760) 966-0985