Weezer takes Cox Arena by storm, slacker style

Weezer postponed its San Diego tour date earlier this year, but the band completely mended its relationship with San Diegans last Tuesday by rocking Cox Arena with an extraordinary amount of slacker energy.

Opening with “”Island in the Sun,”” the gentle single from Weezer’s most recent self-tititled album known as the green album, the band slowly built up energy with hits mostly from the previous self titled album known as the blue album- the band’s debut effort, such as “”Say it Ain’t So”” and the epic “”Undone (The Sweater Song).”” Favorites from their third album, including “”Photograph”” and “”Knock-Down Drag-Out”” were also performed.

Unfortunately, the band barely gave a nod to its lesser-known second album, “”Pinkerton,”” only playing the cult favorite “”Tired of Sex.”” Notably missing from the concert set was “”El Scorcho,”” the only single from “”Pinkerton.””

The band, led by lead singer and guitarist Rivers Cuomo, made an obvious effort to mimic the recorded versions of its songs, rarely extending solos or changing the songs in any way. While mildly disappointing to the Weezer fan who has listened to the band’s three albums countless times — as many Weezer fans have — being able to at least match recorded versions of songs while in concert is no small feat in today’s world of pop music.

The one notable exception was the band’s performance of “”Only in Dreams,”” in which the band’s members, to an amazing background of flashing lights, fog and confetti, blew the audience away with a more prominent baseline and incredible drumming.

While, for most of the concert, the band performed flawlessly, the closing number, “”Buddy Holly,”” was marred by a missed first verse.

The audience was warmed up for Weezer by opening acts Jimmy Eat World and Tenacious D. While Jimmy Eat World’s sound falls into the same category as Weezer’s, Tenacious D proved an interesting pick for a Weezer opening band.

A result of the rock ‘n’ roll aspirations of comedian/actor Jack Black and friend Kyle Gass, Tenacious D offers a two-acoustic-guitar feel similar to that of the Indigo Girls, except with lyrics more vulgarly burlesque than Eminem’s. While entertaining and, at many times, comically so, Tenacious D’s style is a distinct departure from Weezer’s post-slacker attitude.

Despite a minor flub in the climax of the concert and an odd opening band choice, last Tuesday’s Weezer concert proved to be an excellent affair for Weezer freaks and causal fans alike.