Warren Miller's new film has nothing new to offer

If you have skied more than once, then you have probably watched a Warren Miller movie. “”Cold Fusion,”” the 52nd of the Miller ski films, attempts to bring something new to skiing but ultimately boils down to the same old stuff.

With new places and footage of world records, the “”new”” elements of this movie reinforce why these movies were great 40 years ago and why they are great now: good cinematography and great skiing.

The location footage is great. A helicopter adventure in Alaska shows beautiful scenery. The scenes in Kenya offer a taste of adventure when two female skiers hike through the jungle wondering if they will ever find snow. The footage of Iran shows world travel and skiing in cultures little known to those of us in the States.

The other highlights include a record-setting quad flip and new distances traveled by base jumpers. Watching these record- breakers fly through the air offers entertainment, but the real value still lies in the great skiing.

Wherever the skiing is, the idea is usually the same: great skiers floating down huge mountain faces of untouched powder. The images of a snow-covered slope and the opportunity to make free, virgin tracks is enough to excite any daydreaming skier. However, there are constant reminders that what the skiers get to do in this film exceed the average skier’s budget and skill.

The money and technology used to make this movie allow for great helicopter scenes and travel to places that the average skier will never see. The flashing ads remind the viewer of the money it takes to go on such adventures, and that the average citizen can never afford such trips.

In other words, if you have the money to go skiing or travel to some new places this year, watch this movie to get pumped up. However, if you are an ordinary person, don’t go out of your way to watch this movie. “”Cold Fusion”” does have some interesting content, but doesn’t really offer anything that new or spectacular.

If you just want to watch some great skiing, watch a ski movie. If you are bored with the older ski movies, watch this one.