The Whos come alive at the Globe

Dr. Seuss once said, “”Children want the same thing we want: to laugh, to be challenged, to be entertained and delighted.”” Those very qualities are delivered on stage at The Globe Theatres.

The Globe gathers its loyal patrons it prefers to call “”tradition”” — of “”How the Grinch Stole Christmas!”” Remaining true to the story’s original creator, Dr. Seuss, the Globe hosts a fine production of this memorable children’s story.

However, this particular season’s arrangement cannot compare to previous years’ performances.

With veteran actors Guy Paul playing the Grinch and Rusty Ross playing the dog Max, Dr. Seuss’ Christmas classic comes alive on stage.

Although both stars brilliantly pull off a delightful and humorous performance, the duo could have used another week of rehearsal. When they fumbled a few times on stage with various props, they were forced to noticeably improvise, thereby breaking the rhyming scheme of the script.

The rest of the cast gives lively performances with strong singing voices and excellent line delivery. Still, the unique rhyming scheme seems constantly interrupted with improvisational cover-ups.

The costumes inspire the play and are one of its most successful contributions to the overall production. The Whos of Whoville make their debut in curly-Q-toed shoes, rounded out body proportions and ruddy-cheeked smiling faces.

The tousled green fur and menacing makeup of the Grinch elevate the character and augment his presence. Paul adds his own touch of humor that enraptures the audience.

Bringing us a little closer to the center of the heartfelt humanity in the play is character Cindy-Lou Who, played by Mary Frances McClay. Juxtaposed with the witty character of the Grinch, McClay steals the show with her sweet-voiced songs and charming relaxation on stage.

The set design is amazingly close to the original pen-and-ink illustrations of Dr. Seuss’ “”Grinch”” — a good gesture to the producer and to Dr. Seuss.

Although the show is meant most specifically for children, adults find themselves enjoying it as well. The director, Jack O’Brien, allows for moments of laughter for a mature audience with scenes that identify with the woes of being a parent during Christmas time.

With half the cast consisting of children and the other half being professional adult actors, there is something here for everyone, as was Dr. Seuss’ intention.

How the Grinch Stole Christmas

Nov. 11 – Dec. 31

The Globe Theatres, Balboa Park

Starring Guy Paul, Rusty Ross, and Mary Frances McClay

For tickets, call (619) 239-2255