hiatus calendar

11/29 Thursday

Philadelphia-born Bilal was classically trained at Mannes Music Conservatory in New York City but has moved his musical stylings to soul. His funky debut album “”1st Born Second”” was produced by Dr. Dre and Raphael Saadiq and the music is in the vein of Maxwell. Bilal will be at the Belly Up Tavern. Tickets are $8 and the show starts at 11 p.m.

If you make a trip to Viejas Casino you can watch Blues Traveler in concert. This bluesy, jam band with a pop touch has a new album out called “”Bridge.”” This album is their first in four years. A slimmed-down John Popper still provides the vocals and that classic harmonica sound. Tickets are $32 and the show starts at 8 p.m.

11/30 Friday

A healthy dose of hard house will be provided by Bad Boy Bill at 4th & B. His “”Bangin’ the Box”” series has reached volume five and this long-time DJ is still going strong. His set starts at 9 p.m. and tickets are $15.

The king of blues, B.B. King, is back in San Diego. He is a living legend and his talent is comparable to the likes of Robert Johnson and Muddy Waters. The King will be at the Pechanga Entertainment Center tonight at 8 p.m. and tomorrow at 8 p.m. Tickets are $44.

The San Diego Symphony will feature hit selections from the film “”2001: A Space Odyssey”” through Dec. 2. Selections from Alex North’s original, unused score will also pe played. For more information, call (619) 235-0804

12/1 Saturday

India Arie is a rising star in the world of R&B with her debut album “”Acoustic Soul.”” She is reminiscent of Jill Scott and Tracy Chapman but with her own uplifting style. India Arie will be at the Belly Up Tavern. Tickets for the show are $25 and the show starts 9:15 p.m.

The sounds of straight ahead jazz and blues will fill the air at the San Diego Museum of Art in Balboa Park. Jeannie and Jimmy Cheatham’s Sweet Baby Blues Band will provide the music, which features Jeannie’s strong vocal skills. Tickets are $12 and the show starts at 7 p.m.

12/2 Sunday

Blues guitarist Robert Cray can definitely rock. Even with five Grammy’s under his belt, Cray and the Robert Cray Band have remained true to their roots. His music has flavors of Otis Redding and Isaac Hayes. Cray will be at 4th & B and the show starts at 8 p.m. Tickets are $25.

Carissa’s Wierd describe themselves as a “”five-piece indie folk band.”” Their slow melodies with a bittersweet violin and an accordion make for an interesting sound. See for youself at The Casbah. The show starts at 8:30 p.m. Call The Casbah for ticket information at (619) 232-4355.

12/3 Monday

Indie rocker Jonathan Richman might be best known by the general public for his apperance in “”There’s Something About Mary.”” His strange tunes have created a strong cult following. Richman will be at The Casbah at 8:30 p.m. Tickets are $10.

12/6 Thursday

Get into the Christmas spirit with Mannheim Steamroller. This group brings out a full orchestra along with a rock band and spices up classic Christmas tunes to the delight of holiday music fans. They will also be plugged into a Dolby Surround Sound system, which will give the audience an incredible sonic experience. The show starts at 7:30 p.m. at the San Diego Sports Arena. Tickets start at $22.