Album Review

Blank and Jones

“”TranceMix USA 2″”

Radikal Records

*

To listen to the vibrating sounds of trance, you have to be either totally relaxed or totally hyperactive; there is no in between.

“”TranceMix USA 2,”” a compilation of trance beats from the German DJ-duo Piet Blank and Jaspa Jones, falls somewhere in the realm of smooth sounds for relaxation. Nevertheless, it’s hard to determine whether the pulsating sounds are really any different from the other club mixes heard so often.

Globally known in the trance scene since the mid ’90s, Blank and Jones’ sounds have garnered spin-time in clubs from Toronto to Ibiza. The German duo is especially well- known in their home country and many of their mixes, including “”Beyond Time,”” have been featured in films.

As a booming voice introduces Blank and Jones at the onset of the album, the haunting sounds of “”Beyond Time”” are emitted. The song’s clarity relies on its smooth transitions because each aspect of the beat is incorporated into the overall movement of the song. The other featured Blank and Jones mix on the album is one of their first hits: “”Blue Sky.”” While less haunting than “”Beyond Time”” and more energetic, the signature Blank and Jones separation of sound dominates.

Most prominent on the album is the DJ Tiesto Remix of Sarah McLachlan’s “”Silence.”” The pulsating throb of the mix beautifully offsets McLachlan’s haunting voice. Also incorporated into the mix is a faint echo of the lyric, “”heaven holds a sense of wonder.””

The Club mix of ATB’s “”Let U Go”” is another highlight of “”TranceMix USA 2.”” The lyrics are punchy, the pulse infectious, but the overall sound retains the tone of the album: background music.

The throbbing atmosphere of a multicolored, swirling room is the ideal trance venue. While “”TranceMix USA 2″” has some effective rhythms, it does not hold up to being confined to your stereo. This one will not leave you throbbing.

$2515
$5000