hiatus calendar

11/2 Friday

Local legends Rob Crow and Armistead Burrell Smith IV rejoin as Pinback and will perform at The Casbah. This indie-rock group has influenced many local bands with its post-modern raw guitar and piano sound. The show starts at 8:30 p.m. Call The Casbah for more details at (619) 232-4355. Pinback will also be at an all-ages show at 9 p.m. at the Mira Mesa Epicentre on Saturday, Nov. 3.

11/3 Saturday

Dublin-born singer Mary Black has sold millions of albums and gathered dozens of awards for her music. She is the low-profile version of Sinead O’Connor and Enya. She departed from her folk style in the late ’80s and scored a small hit with her song “”No Frontiers.”” Black will be at UCSD’s Mandeville Auditorium and the performance will begin at 7:30 p.m. Call the UCSD Box Office at (858) 534-8497 for ticket information.

Aterciopelados, or “”The Velvety Ones,”” is a Colombian band that blends sultry vocals with a trip-hop sound. It has been nominated for two Grammys for albums released in 1997 and in 1998. Its most recent release, “”Gozo Poderoso,”” continues its progression through a mellow trip-hop sound. Aterciopelados will be at the Open Air Theatre on the San Diego State University campus. Tickets start at $28.25 and the show starts at 7:30 p.m. Maldita Vecindad is the support band.

11/5 Monday

Ska was huge. “”Reel”” huge, especially with the likes of Reel Big Fish dominating the scene. Even though ska has disappeared from the national spotlight, Reel Big Fish are working hard promoting their album, “”Why Do They Rock So Hard?”” They will be supported by pop-punk group Sugarcult. The show starts at 7:30 p.m. and tickets are $15 each.

11/6 Tuesday

Melissa Etheridge has scored various hits with her old-fashioned rock style and songwriter quality resembling Bruce Springsteen and Van Morrison. Etheridge will go solo with her acoustic guitar and her Janis Joplin-like voice at Copley Symphony Hall. The concert starts at 8 p.m. and tickets start at $62.

Appearing on the Spitkicker Tour is De La Soul and Biz Markie. The Spitkicker Tour arrives at the Belly Up Tavern in Solana Beach and is rumored to feature great guest artists such as The Roots’ MC Black Thought. The show starts at 9 p.m. and tickets are $23.

11/7 Wednesday

Critically acclaimed Brazilian singer Virginia Rodrigues will be at UCSD’s Mandeville Auditorium at 7:30 p.m. Call the UCSD Box Office for ticket information at (858) 534-8497.

$2515
$5000