Women's soccer loses at home

In its first home loss since 1998, the UCSD women’s soccer team lost 1-0 to Cal Poly Pomona in overtime at Triton Soccer Stadium on Oct. 24.

After a scoreless game during regulation, Bronco freshman forward Lisa Araujo scored just 59 seconds into the sudden-death overtime to lead 11th-ranked Cal Poly to victory.

Bronco forward Tia Rudolph recorded the assist when she dribbled up the right side of the field and crossed the ball in front of the Triton net.

Sophomore Triton goalie Kami Poma deflected the pass back into the middle, where Araujo scrambled for the rebound and shot the ball into the upper corner of the goal.

UCSD’s Megan Mendoza, Erika Alfredson and Kristin Jones were unusually quiet for the Tritons, with only five shots on goal among the three. Poma played a competitive game and recorded six saves on the night.

With this win, the Broncos snapped a Triton 22-game home winning streak. Cal Poly also snapped the Tritons nine-game winning streak.

This contest spotlighted two of the top National Collegiate Athletic Association Division II women’s soccer teams. The Broncos were the Division II national runners up in 1999 and the Tritons won the Division II National Championship in 2000.

With the defeat, the 5th-ranked Tritons fell to 14-2 on the season and 11-2 in the California Collegiate Athletic Association. The Broncos improved to 13-2-2 overall and to 9-2-2 in the CCAA.

The Tritons, who clinched the division title Oct. 19 against Cal State University San Bernardino, and the Broncos both will be in the CCAA Championship tournament, which runs from Nov. 1 through Nov. 4 at Triton Soccer Stadium.

$2515
    $5000