Women's soccer wins

The UCSD women’s soccer team received an unexpected battle from Cal State Bakersfield last Friday, who played the Tritons wholeheartedly before losing 1-2.

The Roadrunners stunned the Tritons right off the bat, scoring with a penetrating run by freshman Lindsay Bush barely a minute into the game.

Despite missing its all-CCAA defender Allison Doorn, who is out due to injury, the CSU Bakersfield defense contained the Tritons’ offense, allowing only one shot on goal in the first half.

However, the second half was another story, as miscommunication killed the ‘Runners’ defense and allowed the Tritons to score two goals and take back the lead.

The Tritons’ first goal was just as startling as CSU Bakersfield’s, and came off of their second-half kickoff. The Tritons sent a long kick toward the Roadrunner goal, and a lapse in communication between two defenders and the Bakersfield goalie gave Triton senior Erika Alfreson the opportunity to crash through the defenders and knock in her team-leading sixth goal of the season only 12 seconds into the half.

Only 4 minutes later, the Tritons struck again, this time with sophomore Kristen Jones supplying the firepower. A long cross pass by senior forward Jessica Cordova rolled past some Bakersfield defenders and gave Jones the chance to put in the game-winning goal.

The ‘Runners created several more opportunities to score in the second half but were unable to complete any of them as sophomore goalie Kami Poma came up with four saves for the day to earn the shutout.

With the victory the Tritons bump up their record to 10-1 (8-1 in CCAA) while Bakersfield drops to 3-8-2 overall (1-5-2 in CCAA).

$2515
    $5000