Concert Review: Simon and Felix Jaxx it up

I met Basement Jaxx.

Will this taint the objectivity of my concert review? Of course it will.

Simon Ratcliffe and Felix Buxton of Basement Jaxx have released two hit albums with a slew of singles from each one. “”Remedy”” in 1999 produced such hits and favorites as “”Rendezvous,”” “”Bingo-Bango”” and “”Red Alert.”” Their most recent effort, “”Rooty,”” has yielded such musical wonders as “”Romeo”” and “”Where’s Your Head At?””

They have remixed the Pet Shop Boys and Roger Sanchez. They were courted by major labels before signing to independent label, XL.

And they have to be the nicest chaps in music.

After attending their incredible performance at 4th & B on Monday. I waited outside with my buddies in hopes of catching the Jaxx wandering out backstage. I expected them to stumble out with a girl on each arm and expensive cigarettes hanging out of their mouths. Of course, these world famous house producers would be at the lap of luxury, right? Wrong.

Felix stumbled out, not with a bottle of Skyy vodka in his hand but a huge bag of equipment. He carried his own stuff! Even after I confused Felix’s name with his cohort’s, he kindly signed autographs and continued to help put equipment into a nearby truck. I slipped him a business card with my e-mail address, my way of saying, “”e-mail me!”” After all, it was Felix from Basement Jaxx.

I searched for Simon around their tour bus but couldn’t find him. I asked my newfound friend (Felix, of course) where Simon was and he poked his head into the bus and called for Simon. Simon, also carrying his own bags and equally pleasant, stepped out of the bus and faithfully signed autographs for the few people who stuck around to bid the Jaxx adieu.

I was like a 12-year-old on the morning of your gift-receiving winter holiday of choice.

Basement Jaxx’s show was simply amazing. Their DJ set was complemented by live singers, dancers and live percussion as well. At one point, Simon stepped out from behind the decks to play the guitar and Felix supplied the vocals for a rousing rendition of “”Where’s Your Head At?”” with Groove Armada (“”I See You Baby””) and BT (“”Never Gonna Come Back Down””). Known to play rousing sets with live guitars and percussion in addition to their turntables, synths and computers, one wonders if this will be the way many electronica producers will start to showcase their music.

The massive video screen spit out Vegas-like colors as the Jaxx rocked a relatively small but incredibly enthusiastic crowd who bounced and sweated to every single song.

The Jaxx dropped in crowd favorites like “”Red Alert,”” “”Bingo Bango”” and “”Romeo.”” The beats were hard and loud and the attitude was funky and sexy in a way that was distinctively Basement Jaxx. The pace was unforgiving as they pounded through each song with different dancers and vocalists, leaving the audience screaming and breathless by the time their set finished up at a criminally early 11 p.m.

Did I mention that I met Basement Jaxx?

And they were the nicest guys. As my friend said with her high-pitched-cartoonish-voice, “”they’re so cute! I just want to take them home with me.””

Imagine that. A pair of Jaxx at your very own home. I wish.

Overall experience? This has to be one of the best shows that I have ever been to.